No announcement yet.

Is there a substitute for transformers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a substitute for transformers?

I saw an application in which the output of a small audio amp, e.g., amplified computer speakers is further treated with a 8 Ohm/1K Ohm transformer on each side to increase the voltage of the output. Is it possible to use any solid state device, e.g. a stereo amp on a chip, e.g. LM386 to replace the transformers? Is there a solid state replacement for a transformer?
    Thanks

I think if you we're to put this in terms of what you want to accomplish, some of the guys would happily chime in with suggestions.
    -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

Dead right, tboy. There are many answers, and choosing the right one depends on knowing what's to be accomplished.

If the requirement includes any form of galvanic isolation then there are only two choices: transformers and optical signal coupling. Even then, optical coupling cannot compete with transformers for power transfer or linearity.
      Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Working...
      X