Amp Suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Suggestion

Hey guys. I'm just now starting to move out of the typical "Marshall, Vox, and Fender" stage and move on to the more expensive amps, but I don't know of any brands besides the ones everybody's heard of (Orange, Divided By 13). What's bad is I live in Chattanooga where all the guitar stores are for Flat Pickers and the only place that actually carries amps is Guitar Center who only carries the crappy amps. My style is very old school 50s Jazz. I currently have an Gibson Combo. I replaced the speakers with Celestion Golds and it sounds really good. But I'm looking for more of a Vintage Jazz Tone. I'm not into Fender amps because they are too focused on the Treble. I'm more of a Mids person which is why I chose the Gibson. Any suggestions on Boutique Vintage-Style Jazz Amps with a good Mid/Mid-Bass Sound?

It might not be "boutique" per-se, but may I suggest old Ampeg combo. The one that springs to mind when I read the thread is the Gemini IV. Very warm and the reverb is killer. One 15" speaker I think. The ampegs were designed to be very clean amps, though some (ie: Jet) break up nicely.

Comment

I've heard of Ampeg, never played one, but I've heard of them. I've played one of their Bass amps before and that sounded really warm. The only reason why I'd probably not go with Ampeg is I'm really picky about playing amps that everyone else is playing. If I knew how I'd prefer to just build my own amp, but that ain't happening. I'd play at churches all the time and I'd love to play a show and have the worship leader come up to me afterwards and say, Wow! What kind of amp is that?" So more of the Dr. Z, Divided By 13 stuff. Plus I love the Vintage, 50s design of the amp. I love the sound, but I also love the style- 50s Bel Air kind of stuff.

Comment

Carr amps are fairly 50's looking and have some good models to choose from if it's new boutique you're after.

Comment

Ampeg guitar amps are sort of the original boutique amps... and they are vintage.

I don't think there was ever a time when everyone else was playing one... unless you were a "key club" session cat in NYC during the '60s. The old Ampegs have the tone you described.

Comment

I think you need to make a pilgrimage to Nashville. Simon Ripley's on 8th Ave S. has Divided by 13 and I'm sure you can find most of the other amps you've mentioned if you call around. Try Guitar Center for Dr. Z. Corner Music and Rock Block Guitars also have some nice boutique amps. If I was after that tone I might look into something like a tweed 5E5A Pro or maybe a Twin.

Comment

"I'm not into Fender amps because they are too focused on the Treble"

You must be talking about blackface fenders. Try a tweed. I play a tweed deluxe and it nails everything I need, including a somewhat traditional jazz tone.
              In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

Blackfaces can be plenty "warm" sounding if you don't do [stupid] things like using the bright switch, or install JBL's in it, or insist on "diming out" the treble control.......not too many people can afford to buy tweeds (even a whimpy sounding Champ).
                Mac/Amps
                "preserving the classics"
                Chicago, Il., USA
                (773) 283-1217
                (cell) (847) 772-2979
                Now back on Chicago's NW side in Jefferson Park!
                www.mac4amps.com

Comment

what about sommatone or victoria?
                  Happiness. Only real when shared.

Comment

Originally posted by mac1amps View Post
                    Blackfaces can be plenty "warm" sounding if you don't do [stupid] things like using the bright switch, or install JBL's in it, or insist on "diming out" the treble control.......not too many people can afford to buy tweeds (even a whimpy sounding Champ).
                    I dunno, a bright sound can be desirable for some things. I'd *love* a deluxe reverb with a JBL in it.
                    In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

If you could get a JBL to fit in one.

I agree, the original poster needs an old Ampeg with a 15" speaker. The 15 should get you that thick, bassy tone. Use a hollowbody with P-90s, select the neck pickup, play with your thumb instead of a pick, and you'll feel like you're channeling Wes Montgomery.

Hardly anyone can afford an original tweed Fender, but several makers sell clones and DIY kits. I think there was a tweed amp with a 15" too, was it the 5E5A that someone mentioned above?

The Celestion Gold is a nice speaker, but does it really have a vintage jazz tone? I thought it was more of a blues weapon.
                      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

If you wanted a new amp, check out the Victoria 35115. It is based off of a fender narrow pannel tweed and has a 15 in it, they have sound clips on their website its a really sweet amp, they are hand made in chicago and of very very good quality. you can order a couple of their other amps with 15's also. Lifetime warranty also ;]
                        Happiness. Only real when shared.

Comment

Working...
                        X