No announcement yet.

EMG active pup specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, the SA has the magnet running through both coils like the old Duncan/Dimarzio designs. I've made a few of those and they are very bright sounding pickups. This is probably why they are always wound hot.

The EMG design doesn't run the coils in series, but instead has each one connected to one of the inputs on the op amp.

Here's the schematic for an 81. I guess it's the same one you have? I didn't make this so I can't verify it. It was traced from an actual circuit board. I'd imagine the SA is similar. Also a photo of the inside of an SA.
    Attached Files
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Hi David
      Thanks - i do already have that EMG81 schematic and I have a set of EMG S type pickups (ceramic) on a squier strat. I don't like the sound of them much though - they may be noiseless but they sound very flat - not a lot of fullness in the bottom end and actually quite muted in the top end - no sparkle (probably too high an inductance?).
      Another thing I found disappointing was the absence of any real "quack" when using the neck and middle (or bridge and middle) pickups together!
      I have not tried the Kinmans or Stich (Fender Noiseless) pickups, but their design promises to be an improvement on the EMG design - particularly the lack of inductive coil coupling between the top and bottom coils. Do you have any experience with these pickups? If so, what are your thoughts, feelings about them etc.
      I am going to sell off these EMG S pickups - they do not deliver the tone I desire from them. I was contemplating winding some stacks with Humbucker bobbins and using short Neo rods for the top coil and unmagnetized steel slugs for the bottom coil, separated by a downward facing U shape channel of silicon steel (old transformer lamination piece) to conduct the magnetic field away from the bottom coil. Maybe I do not need any slugs in the bottom coil??
      I was going to use the LM4250 differential preamp like the EMG 81 schematic (but modified slightly).
      I will post some pictures when and if they work out and give me "that" strat sound that the EMG S pickups do not!!
      cheers
      Steve

Comment

I've never used the S pickups. I had a set of SAs in a guitar, and they don't sound bad. They lack a certain sparkle in the top end, but otherwise are very Straty. I don't use EMGs in any of my instruments anymore.

My Teleish guitar I made has some old lawrence L-250 sidewinders that sound nice, though they used to sound better in my Fender Mustang.

I have installed Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Pro pickups in a few guitars from the same customer, and they sound very good. They really sound like single coils.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

"They lack a certain sparkle in the top end"
          This is exactly how the S pickups sound to my ears too.
          Too much inductance methinks
          bajaman

Comment

Working...
          X