Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time builder

Hey all,

Have been wanting to make my own pickups for quite some time now and have finally decided to do it. I believe I have a pretty good understanding of just how to create the pickup (obviously experimenting is part of the thrill) so what my question is for anyone will to answer is where do you guys get your magnets and coil wire (what magnets and wire are you guys using) or any parts for that matter. I have read through these forums quite a bit and ended up maybe a little more confused as to where I should start than I originally was. Obviously there is the StewMac option, however, from what I am read that isn't the best option. Anyway, if anyone has any recommendations I would greatly appreciate any help or advice anyone has to give. Thanks in advance!

hey Andy welcome
    Addiction-FX Guitar and Sound items - Get great deals on Humbucker Bobbins, Pole Slugs items on eBay Stores!
    some good stuff there
    BAE MAGNET WIRE items - Get great deals on Electrical Test Equipment, Manufacturing Metalworking items on eBay Stores!
    REA Magnet Wire # 42 AWG SNSR 1.8 Pounds- Red - eBay (item 140449390772 end time Sep-11-10 15:27:24 PDT)
    BAEWIRE don't have any poly wire listed now but the usually do. you might want to contact them an ask if they have any
    id go with solderon poly wire for beginners
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Hi Andy:
      Here is a link at the main pickup forum called Sticky: Pickup Makers FAQ
      http://music-electronics-forum.com/t5313/
      It list where to buy different supplies.
      Terry
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Hey Guys,

Thanks a bunch for the links! Both of you guys helped a lot. I think I am just going to start with some cheaper things to practice on and then move up to higher quality stuff. Thanks again for you help!

Comment

The Stew Mac kits are fine to start with, and I've made some very nice sounding pickups with them. Many of the parts you can get online are the very same parts. But their wire is way over priced because it's been respooled.

eBay is the way to go for small quantities of wire. I buy from BAE all the time.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thanks David! Perhaps I will get a kit from StewMac for my first build just to have a good understanding. Also I commented on a thread you were posting on about shielding ( http://music-electronics-forum.com/t21415/ ) and I was wondering if you had any suggestions on that. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
            X