Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, should I get this bassman?! SO WORRIED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow Chuck thanks for that I really did not even know, So the 67 bassman is really more of a guitar amp? I wondered why the non bass channel said "normal" channel. You said its not really blackface? kind of bummed by that. what do you mean? I have been looking into alot of different new amps and such and I just want something super simple and it seems like this amp is it. people say what different styles it works good for but nothing really covers what I am doing. I listed some different bands I am looking for the tone, It seems like alot of them are using eatheir orange or fender hotrods.
    Happiness. Only real when shared.

Comment

I say it's not really a BF only because most Fender amps had already switched to SF cosmetics by that time. After a short search it seems that the amp your looking at was only produced with the black face in the early part of '67. That and BF is typically associated with the aa763 and ab763 schems, niether of which that amp exemplifies. But IMHO that amp is an anomoly in Fender production. More important it is a good amp. Not the most collectible model Fender made but still a great example of excellent design.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Hella,

Some things to consider.

The BF '67 Bassman is a good basic amp. We can't tell you what you like. You must decide for yourself based on the sound that you hear. You said you were going over to check the amp out. Did you do that? If you liked the sound then it may be right for you. If it didn't fit your style then it may be best to move on to something else. The amp is well suited for mods and can sound good for guitar but you also said that you could not afford to restore or mod the amp. Therefore, you need it to be pretty much right for you as is.

Tom

Comment

Don't be bothered about the cosmetics of the amp. Some of the best tones I've ever heard has been Silver faced tones. You said you were looking for a nice clean amp. Then SF is right up your ally. If you ask me, you won't get a nicer clean amp then from Fenders early SF period.

I'm saying this to make it clear that you should be using your ears primarily, not your eyes. If you like the sound you'll end up falling in love the amp anyway, even if it's an old hog .
          In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

I am hopefully going to try it out saturday so I will let you guys know how it goes.

Chuck- Isnt it true however that some of the earlier 67 blackfaces were actually blackface specs inside? and wouldent it be easy to switch it over to blackface or would that decrease the value?

Tom- I do not mind putting money into it, I just did not want to put like $500 right away. I talked to one of the most respected amp techs in Michigan and he quoted me $170 for a cap job+3prong cable installed and basically the 40 year check up so that is not bad for me at all, he would use the highest quality components and keep it as original or not that I wanted.

So i will give it a try and see if its right for me,

Comment

Originally posted by Hella1hella View Post
              Chuck- Isnt it true however that some of the earlier 67 blackfaces were actually blackface specs inside? and wouldent it be easy to switch it over to blackface or would that decrease the value?
              When someone says they want to change from SF to BF they're talking about aa763 and ab763 amps. I just looked it up and that amp was made from late '64 to early '67 and then changed to a silver face plate. It's mentioned that the SF model was later named the Bassman 50. The fact that they differentiat the SF model tells me there were some changes when they switched. My advice is to listen to the amp and don't worry about the innards. If you like it you should get it. If you don't you should keep looking. It's collectible, yes. But as Fenders go it's not a sought after model so it's not like you would be passing on a real investment piece.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

There isn't a huge difference in the circuit in the blackface and early silverface Bassmans, so I wouldn't stress over it. If you like it, get it, play it and read up on it. As tube amps go, you can't get a lot simpler, so it wouldn't be a huge stretch to learn how to maintain the amp yourself.

The amp will be worth more later with original transformers. There are three groups of numbers stamped into each transformer and the middle number matches the year. Do you know which cabinet comes with the amp? Some of the blackface amps came with the speakers side by side, tilt-back legs and hardware to attach the head to the cabinet. I have never seen that configuration on a silverface, but that's not to say they don't exist. Original speakers are more desirable to a collector, but there are a lot of speakers that will sound good with that amp.

Comment

Since this thread started a couple of 1967 Bassman amps have come to my attention.
                  A very nice example showed up in my shop this week complete with original speaker cabinet and one sold on ebay which you can check out at eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Comment

Hey guys, still trying to work out a time for us to get together it seems like our schedules are not working well. SO before I go to look at it, when I get there what should I look for to make sure its original+the year?

Comment

... what should I look for to make sure its original+the year?
                      Google "dating Fender amps" and learn how to interpret the date codes. You will need to open up the amp. I could start listing things to look for like original transformers but there are many things that could have happened to the amp over it's life. If you are still taking a good tech with you then that person should know what to look for. Otherwise you could take a lot of good photos including closeups of the numbers on the transformers and post them. 1967 was a transition year. Do you know yet it's a Blackface or a Silverface?

Comment

Tom, it is blackface.

Comment

SO. I still have not check out the amp due to conflicting schedules. I talked to him though and he said everything is all original except 2nd channel has a mid boost ( the bass knob pulls to mid control) I kind of think this is a pretty cool mod but am worried if it will devalue it too much or if its still a fair trade everything else is still all original including the 2 prong cable and transformers etc, he did say however that for the trade he would include the head(which is suppose to be in near mint condition) and the cab. The cab is a bonus for me because while im not SURE but it seems like the side by side cabs are worth alot more for collectors than the vertical ones, it has original hardware and original thumb screw for the head. So, if I like the sound, think its still a good trade?

Comment

...So, if I like the sound, think its still a good trade?
                            Yes. If YOU like the sound that's the key. The 1967 Bassman is not the holy grail of a museum piece that shouldn't be modded. Just don't start drilling holes in the chassis. Put a grounded power cord on it. Voice the pre-amp circuit to your liking and then enjoy. It will still hold its value very well.
                            Tom

Comment

Cool, thanks tom, is it true that the side by side 2x12's are worth more? thats what it comes with, im pumped because they look alot cooler than the uprights haha

Comment

The side by side speaker arrangement was the earlier model. Based on that they may well be worth more. Fender would shortly change to a larger vertical cabinet. If it were me, I'd prefer the smaller side by side cabinet for use as a guitar amp and since it would be easier to transport. The Bassman in my shop is a vertical speaker cab model 39" high x 26" wide. I have not opened it up yet to verify the date codes on the parts. (CBS did not stamp date codes on the tube chart labels.)

Back in the day people were standing their side by side cabinets upright as it was the cool style and everyone wanted the stack look. It was amusing that the cabs would rock around with the stage movements because they were resting unevenly on the tilt back legs.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                                X