Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, should I get this bassman?! SO WORRIED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats what I was thinking, it has original jensens also, which I think would be a plus.
    Happiness. Only real when shared.

Comment

It's definitely a +++ that it has original Jensens (because no one seems to like the Oxfords). And I wouldn't sweat the mid boost. No extra holes were drilled in the chassis so it's easily reversed. One replacement pot won't devalue the amp enough to worry about it. And since you do plan to play through it, who knows? It may be a really good and appropriate circuit mod for that amp that you'll really dig.

Chuck
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Chuck, thats what I was thinking, I was not sure that when you installed a push pull if you had to change other things, but if its just a pot I am not worried at all.

Comment

Well, it's basically just a pot. I don't know what circuit was installed but it probably didn't involve removing any other components besides the pot. Too bad the original pot isn't still with the amp. Whenever I do mods to older amps I always save original parts and give them back to the amp owner. Still, you can probably find the right pot with the right date code if your semi vigilant during the course of your ownership (should that happen). Remember, you may still play through the amp and decide 'eh, it's not for me.' The trade is much more equitable with Jensen speakers but your not stepping into a '59 Les Paul or anything. Be honest with yourself about the amp and all that you will or ultimately may be asking it to do. "I" think they sound really good (sans high gain) but I won't be the one shelling out the $$$.

Chuck

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Chuck, what did you mean by ( sans high gain) ?

Comment

I meant that the amp doesn't do it. You can crank it for some classic rock/blues distortion but it's not a metal machine. The mid boost mod is probably beneficial to getting more OD from the amp but to get high gain (in the modern sense of the term) you would need a pedal or additional circuit mods. It doesn't sound like this is a problem for you from your earlier post.

Chuck

Comment

oh not at all! actually a bonus! I just want a mild break up

Comment

Well???

Comment

Still waiting Chuck! ha ha every time this guy is at home, I am at work! I almost gave up hope because I had not heard from him in a week! but a couple days ago I got an email from him saying he is happy he found me again because his computer crashed. I am hoping this week or this weekend we get together.

Comment

He must be the same guy that sold me a pair of G12h30's on ebay. HA... Paid for them three weeks ago. He's MIA and no speakers yet.

Comment

haha this guy lives really close to me. Are your speakers coming from Michigan?

Comment

I Finally got it!

So I got my bassman today! Went over and played it and fell in love. everything looks all original to me besides the bass pot on the normal channel pulls for mids but I really am digging that feature. The amp is WAY more clean than I expected. Looked inside the cab and found the original jensens. The guy said it was a 1967 but after looking on the fender website I found it is a 1966. The tube chart has a PH stamped on which according to fenders website is August 1966, also checked out the transformer dates which also matched up to '66 and the chassis was stamped '66. All in all I am beyond happy with this amp. I am running my fulltone fulldrive mosfet through it and it is amazing!!!

He also threw in the original cable to go between the head and the cab haha its neat.

Comment

AAaaahh!!! Awsome!

I'm a little jealous. I played one next to one of my 'brews' about fifteen years ago and the clean tone has never left my mind. I'm not one for "mojo" but I swear that thing had magic inside. By your description of the sound your after I thought this might be a good amp for you. Glad it worked out.

The layout and wiring looks pure old school BF Fender (as in pre CBS influence) with the exception of the pull/mid mod. Which BTW I always thought was one of the better things the Rivera Fenders brought to the table. I'd leave it in there too.

So... Some things to keep in mind... Old filters and other electro's may need replacing now or soon (even though they may have already been replaced once). If the tubes are working and sounding good they're fine. The old black circuit board may go conductive one day and need to be very carefully replaced. That's a PITA but not undo-able. Most important you like the tone and you own it now and forever. With care that amp can be as reliable as anything you can buy and sound better doing it. Congrats

Chuck

Comment

Thanks chuck I was really pumped for you to see if over anyone since we spoke the most, thank you so so much for helping me with everything it really helped when it came down to deciding. About the electro's, I had talked to a guy about a week ago who comes very highly recommended and is suppose to be one of the best in our state, he gave me an estimate of changing out the electrolytics for $170, he said nothing would be changed he would only make sure it was to original spec unless I told him so. I really dont understand why people dont use the bassmans more, even though I do admit I have been seeing more of them, because they are AWESOME! very pumped! The cab is also really cool, much easier than carrying around my 4x12!

Comment

Originally posted by Hella1hella View Post
                                I really dont understand why people dont use the bassmans more, even though I do admit I have been seeing more of them, because they are AWESOME!
                                Well this isn't the old '59 Bassman and it's not one of the many much less desireable "silver" Bassmans. The one you have IMHO is comparable to the best "surf" amps of the era only without the reverb. You don't actually see many around. But like anything else now that YOU have one you'll see more than the average because you have one.

Originally posted by Hella1hella View Post
                                The cab is also really cool, much easier than carrying around my 4x12!
                                +++ And with original Jensens. Just a thought but it might be worth trying to find another speaker you like with this amp and put the original Jensens in a box. In twenty years that cab in good condition with original WORKING speakers will be worth many times the cost of both amp and cabinet. If you really want to play it as it is you have my full kudos. But it's something to consider.

Comment

Working...
                                X