Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, should I get this bassman?! SO WORRIED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, should I get this bassman?! SO WORRIED!

Hey I am new here so give me a break! So here is my problem, I recently got out of a metal band because I just was really sick of playing the style, I have never been really into metal but gave it a go. My problem is that I am left now with a Krank amp that I can not get rid of for the life of me! I am looking for some fender/vox tube stuff mainly new because I am scared of a breakdown. I was offered a trade on craigslist for a 67 blackface fender bassman that is in near mint condition WITH 2x12 cab straight up trade for my krank. It sounds so great but A couple things I am worried about. 1. How often do these break down? 2. does it have enough watts to keep up with a drummer well? 3. If I do have to fix it down the line what sort of prices am I looking for? Cant really get very many clips of these on youtube, Do they have a good clean or is it just all breakup? Someone please just fill me in and suggest what I should do! I am nervous!
    Happiness. Only real when shared.

IIRC that amp is two 6L6 tubes. Should be good for 40 50 clean watts. The one I played through had a terrific clean tone. Just guessing, but with a matching 2x12 cab I would think the Bassman is a fair+ trade for a Krank. The hitch is if the Bassman needs service, because of it's age that could mean tubes, filters, general cleaning and retentioning, re bias and component check for drifted CC resistors. It's not as much work as it would seem and after I would bet the reliability of the Bassman against any amp old or new. The old tube hand wired amps are durable as hell and can be functionally restored again and again virtually forever with a minimum of parts. The 67 BF Bassman head isn't a super collectible so it can be voiced to your tastes without ruffling too many purists feathers. But if the one your looking at sounds like the one I played I don't think it'll come up.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thanks chuck I really appreciate it. Can the repairs become TOO expensive? I mean I dont want to throw $500 into it right away. The guy said it was recently checked out by an amp tech in our area and everything is up to par. I would like to change the power chord to 3 prong first, any clue how much that runs on average? then I figure I will just slowly replace things like capacitors etc. Do you know average prices of this stuff just for a ball park? I really appreciate your help! Also, I am using alot of pedals So I think this amp would really suit me well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hella1hella View Post
        Thanks chuck I really appreciate it. Can the repairs become TOO expensive? I mean I dont want to throw $500 into it right away. The guy said it was recently checked out by an amp tech in our area and everything is up to par. I would like to change the power chord to 3 prong first, any clue how much that runs on average? then I figure I will just slowly replace things like capacitors etc. Do you know average prices of this stuff just for a ball park? I really appreciate your help! Also, I am using alot of pedals So I think this amp would really suit me well.
        If the amp is truly "near mint" inside and out it has had light use but is still 43 years old. I'd need to see it on the bench to know what it really needs but I'd be surprised if it needed $500 of work. Usually new electrolytic caps, pot & tube socket cleaning, tightening of loose mechanical grounds and a few other minor things will be all it needs to perform asgood as new. It's best to do this all at the first service. It will cost less overall and give you the most enjoyment playing the amp. I tell people to plan on $200-$300 but the final tab can go up or down for a half century old Fender amp. DO NOT let someone talk you into changing out all the caps for "orange drops" or some other magic tone cap. I don't have anything against the other types of caps but the blue tubulars in the '67 Fenders sound good and seem to last forever. (At lease as far as we have reached into forever so far) Just change the tone and coupling caps if they are actually bad or if you need different values to re-voice.

Check ebay for completed sales for an idea of going prices. The '67 Bassman will hold its value through the years so you will have a good investment if you take care of it.

HTH,
        Tom

Comment

thanks Tom, So you would estimate $300 tops? I dont really have much money to just throw into it right away because I am a college student and plan on using this to gig, I plan on slowly replacing things within the year. I am going to look inside before trading and make sure there are no leaks. I am just really nervous, I keep reading so many reviews about how people have had these for over 40 years without having to replace anything. And I look at it as something can go wrong with a brand new amp as well, especially with the way things are made these days. It looks like in this good of a condition on ebay the head is going for around $700 and the cab $300 so It seems like a fair trade for my krank.

Comment

Originally posted by Hella1hella View Post
            thanks Tom, So you would estimate $300 tops?
            No. I can't give you an absolute top. Any estimate at all without seeing the unit in person is risky. If you want to PM me the ebay offer you are looking at I'll review the page and let you know if I see any red flags and I promise I will not bid on it or refer anyone else to it.
            Ask the seller to send you photos of the inside if they are not already posted.
            Tom

Comment

thanks tom, its on craigslist though but I am having a amp tech buddy of mine go along with me to look at it, so I will let you guys know what happens!

Comment

That's great. A look and listen in person is best.
                Good Luck,
                Tom

Comment

have you played one?

Has anyone on here ever played a blackface bassman? I am excited to try it but there are some of those snoody people on the interenet who talk about how they are not good. I have heard many good things however about the bassman and think it might be a good choice, I have been looking at the new vibrolux and the new 65 reissue twin reverb but I really like the simplicity of the bassman, and the vintage feel and quality. any input so I do not need to worry?

Comment

The Krank should hold its resale value just fine. Why not Ebay that and buy what you want? I don't recommend the Fender re-issues over the older SF/BF stuff.....the RI amps aren't built the same and won't hold up as well over time.
                    The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

If you're buying this amp to be used as your all-round amp my guess is that you'll miss having a reverb on-board... Just saying.
                      In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

You never mentioned what type of music you are interested in playing. The Bassman will do great for blues and classic rock and could work for jazz. For lead work, you may need a pedal. I like the Boss DS-1 with old Fenders. The bassman has two channels. You can jump them together and play with blending them together with a jumper cord or you can use an A/B switch and set one channel up for rhythm and the other for leads.

If you decide later to learn how to service it yourself, there is tons to read and learn from right here and the old Fenders are fun and easy to work on. Just make sure you understand about stored energy in capacitors before you do anything silly.

Comment

I play like a experimental indie/alternative. I think this amp will do great I know it is very simple but I like to use different pedals and such so it seems like it will be a great platform. Seems like its clean enough to do softer stuff ( I dont mind a little bit of grit) I think I will like it.

Comment

bands with similar styles are:

The Dear Hunter
                            Trophy scars
                            As Tall As Lions
                            Circa Survive

I am always using different pedals so I can always find something in that field.

Comment

Just FYI to the other posters. The amp that the OP is looking at is basically an AB763 without reverb in a head cabinet. Channel #2 (the bass channel) is darkened a little via a cap across the plate load. There may be a little more to it but that's my memory on it anyway. It is not a re-issue, it's not a SF or even a BF in the classic sense and it's not a janked up thing like the Bassman 10 and such. It is a '67 Bassman. Since guitar players were using the Bassman for guitar anyway I guess Fender just released this thing as a Guitar head with a nod to bass instruments by including a "bass" channel which is really just a darkened guitar channel. I have only seen a couple of them so I don't think this incarnation was around very long. I did have the honor of playing through one. I say honor because it sounded fabulous. Perhaps the best AB763 type tone I have ever heard. It didn't need reverb to sound full and vibrant. The owner played in a church band and it had been given to him by the church which bought it new in '67. He refused to part with it.
                              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                              X