newbie needs advice bassman related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie needs advice bassman related

hello everyone! I love this site! so informative and everyone seems really friendly. I am Torn and wonding if i coudl get a point in the right direction. I am trying to change gears and get away from playing heavy metal and back into blues were my heart is. I had a fender 59 bassman ri for a while and loved it, should have never sold it. it was an early RI. There is really two different things i am undecided about. I would love to have a Dumble inspired amp but i am not sure if it is in the price range right now. So i am tossing around a Ceriatone hrm or a 5f6a amp in my first dilemma. Second is... If i decide to use a 5f6a style amp, How much different would a home built point to point 5f6a with quality components sound to a fedner RI from the store? Would it be worth the time, effort, and extra money? Or will i just be able to say i built it and have it sound pretty much the same. I have never built an amp and I am eager to learn. The sound i really dig is that John Mayer, two rock, ultra responsive tone. Think "slow dancing in a burning room". I no a bassman will get me close and i am apprehensive to get a ceriatone because i cant play one before i shell out the cash. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Any other options to get that sound would be greatly appreciated as well

I can't decide what you will like more, but the Fender Bassman is "the" tube guitar amp for many players, myself included -although I don't necessarily need 4 tens. A tweed super (5F4) with less power and two tens is fine as well - has the same chime IMHO but will break up sooner.
    Soundwise I tend to say the difference between a Fender RI and a selfmade amp is no more as if you compare two vintage bassman's and one sounds different from the other. You'll have the bassman sound either way. Quality components will improve the sound to a degree.
    I personally like the point to point wiring because it will let me troubleshoot/mod the amp easier (you don't have to rely on the PCB tracks).
    If you've never built a tube amp I recommend starting with a kit. I've never built a kit but from what I've heard here on the forum Bruce's Mission Amps Kits are great (and he's right here and willing to help).

Comment

thank you for the response! I will definatly go with a kit if i go that route. This will be my first build so I dont want to bite off more than I can chew. I guess what the big qeustion with a bassman is, ( i have never played a victoria) Why do people say they sound SOO much better. I know they are point to point and i have herd the transformers in victorias are made to similar spec to the old one? Is the difference just in cap/resister values and components? Is there anything specific I should look for in a kit? Thanks a bunch for any help everyone. I am sorry if this is covered often and i should have searched harder but i skimmed a didn't see to much other than "use this kit" but not nessisarily why it was better than the competition. thanks again I will look up Bruce's amps!

Comment

Originally posted by bigbob302 View Post
        ..I guess what the big qeustion with a bassman is, ( i have never played a victoria) Why do people say they sound SOO much better. I know they are point to point and i have herd the transformers in victorias are made to similar spec to the old one? Is the difference just in cap/resister values and components?....!
        SOO much better than what? Any reputable kit with quality components will sound good. I wouldn't get too caught up in the internet hype.
        "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
        - Yogi Berra

Comment

so much better than a fender bassman. I am not saying I think this i am just stating what i have heard/read. i have never been near a Victoria amp I am just using it for comparison sake because it is point to point and uses different components than a fender. Most ever thread for bassman vs. Victoria amps comes out unanimously in favor of the Victoria's. Most agree the differences probably doesn't justify the increase in cost but either way I was just trying to see if there was anything that might be a big difference that i should look for. and better was probably not the word i should have used as that is subject to opinion. I was being skeptical in when i said SOO much better... as in why? not that i take everything a read as gospel.

Comment

Working...
          X