Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FX Loop Question.

I posted this question on a different site but got no response:

If I use an FX loop as opposed to guitar > all pedals > amp, then that means I need like an extra 20 feet of cable.

Wouldn't that extra cable cause a major degradation in my sound? That means that the signal will go like so:

Guitar > Volume pedal/tuner > compressor > 3 different distortions > amp > FX loop send > 2 differnt reverbs > delay (I like my delay last) > FX loop return. Correct?

If this is so, that means I'd need 30 feet or more of cable; at least 10 for guitar out, 10 for FX loop send and 10 for FX loop return. Not to mention the patch cables in between the pedals. That's alot of friggin cable and seems to me like it wouldn't be worth the extra sound degradation. Am I wrong?

Also keep in mind, that I am only using my amps overdriven channel at about 25% for clean tones (when I'm not using my pedal distortions). (I have an AC30CC head which blends the normal and overdriven channels.) So is this enough to warrant putting my modulation in the FX loop and using an extra 20 feet of cable in the process? Is that slight overdrive at the end of my chain (The 25% overdriven channel from my amp) making my sound not as clear as it would be if i had my modulation in the FX Loop?

TIA.

Originally posted by ThreeEyedMartian View Post
    If I use an FX loop as opposed to guitar > all pedals > amp, then that means I need like an extra 20 feet of cable. Wouldn't that extra cable cause a major degradation in my sound?
    Not so much. The lowish impedance of proper effects loops allows for longer cables. But yes, there will be some signal loss. Mostly top end. Try it and see for yourself. If you don't experience any problems like extra noise or loss of top end then what's the problem?

Originally posted by ThreeEyedMartian View Post
    Is that slight overdrive at the end of my chain (The 25% overdriven channel from my amp) making my sound not as clear as it would be if i had my modulation in the FX Loop?
    Your perception is correct. Anytime you run an effect into a distorting amplifier you lose some of the effects character and fidelity (for better or worse) This is due to the peaks of the waveform being clipped off. With the exception of preamp based effects like distortion pedals, compressors, etc. your usually better off running a distorted signal into an effect than running an effect into a distorting condition. Wha pedals can go either way depending on what you like. Again, why not just try it and see if it sounds better to YOU. There is a lot of grey area in all this because people have been breaking standard protocal for these devices for decades. So the best thing to do is what sounds best to you.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

maybe throw in a high end line buffer? or would that mess with the loop?
      Happiness. Only real when shared.

Comment

Thank you Chuck. I know that it would be best to test this out for myself, my only issue is that i am halfway finished building my pedal board and am using custom built cables. It would just be a huge pain to hook my system up like that at the moment, but in the end there's no excuse. I need to try and hear it for myself. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
        X