all tubes light up but rectifier- Drz Z-28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• all tubes light up but rectifier- Drz Z-28

Hey my Z-28 started popping while I was playing and then died, after changing the fuse, all tubes light up but the rectifier. Changed it and same, all tubes but rectifier. I dont see any obvious resistors open, Im thinking its the power transformer.....what say ye?????

The rectifier doesn;t light up? SO is ther 5VAC across the heater pins?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Could be a burnt wire/connection at the tube socket or a bad socket. Other than that it could probably only be a partially bad PT.

This is it, right? Dr z z28 layout image by jaydawg76 on Photobucket
      ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

All power supply debug processes start off with two questions:
        1. Is the right voltage being generated?
        2. Is that voltage actually getting to where it has to go?
        Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Hiya mort - that layout is a home-brewed customised amp and shows a 5U4G (which is directly heated and therefore not the 'light up' type)

Here's a Z28 schematic with a 5AR4, which will light up if everything is working properly
          Attached Files
          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Hi Tubes,

I'm still pretty new to the game, and I'm aware of SS tube substitutes but I wasn't aware that some tubes don't use filaments and 'light up'. I'll look it up and I may touch on that topic again sometime
            ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

You're doin' good mort - I only realised that stuff about directly and indirectly heated rectifiers a few days ago myself (after it was pointed out to me by someone else)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post
                Hiya mort - that layout is a home-brewed customised amp and shows a 5U4G (which is directly heated and therefore not the 'light up' type)
                I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. 5U4 filaments glow/light up if the tube is good. If the filament doesn't light up, it's either open or not getting current--it doesn't have anything to do with whether it's directly or indirectly heated. With a 5U4, you should be able to find continuity with an ohmmeter between pins 2 and 8 (with the tube out of the socket). Then, switch your meter to AC voltage and check for 5V on socket pins 2 & 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodesplyr View Post
                  I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. 5U4 filaments glow/light up if the tube is good.
                  I just checked one of my 5U4G amps, and so they do. What am I on about? (or rather what am I on?) (Its funny, because I've seen them with their filaments on a zillion times, but somehow when one gets a new piece of information, one can re-write history even in one's mind, in an attempt to make the problem fit the solution). Since 'discovering' they were directly heated (a couple of days ago), I was thinking that to be directly heated, they must somehow heat the cathode without a filament. But the filament must be the cathode. I think I am beginning to understand. Sorry mort - I put you wayyy wrong. (Wouldn't be the first time I've shot my mouth off badly in the middle of the night.)
                  Last edited by tubeswell; 09-18-2010, 10:55 PM. Reason: my mind is radioactive. I need a holiday

Comment

Working...
                  X