Jazz P/U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz P/U

Has anyone ever analyzed the Duncan Jazz neck pickup?
    I've always wondered what size and type of wire is used in the jazz Pickup?
    It's not Plain Enameled wire is the only thing I know for sure!
    Thanks
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

It's 42 AWG. Some winders use formvar. Some others use heavy formvar. I think most just use regular SPN.

I recently rewound a Smith Designed Jazz set. I did the neck with heavy build SPN and the bridge with regular build.

The customer was very happy with them, especially the bridge.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      It's 42 AWG. Some winders use formvar. Some others use heavy formvar. I think most just use regular SPN.

I recently rewound a Smith Designed Jazz set. I did the neck with heavy build SPN and the bridge with regular build.

The customer was very happy with them, especially the bridge.
      Is the Smith Designed set still about the same DCR as the Duncan set.
      Also where do you get the heavy SPN?
      I don't do ebay, where do you guys get most of your 5lb rolls of wire?
      Terry
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        Is the Smith Designed set still about the same DCR as the Duncan set.
        The neck pickup was dead. The bridge was 7.91K. The Duncan SJB-1 bridge is 9.5K.

I rewound them pretty much like the Duncans.

Also where do you get the heavy SPN?
        I don't do ebay, where do you guys get most of your 5lb rolls of wire?
        Terry
        I get my wire from BAE Wire on eBay. They are a regular magnet wire distributor that happen to have an eBay store.

BAE MAGNET WIRE items

They are great to deal with. For instance, they didn't have any 42 listed, so I sent them an email and they put five rolls up.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

+1 on BAE wire. I'm sure there are other producers/distributors but they are very pro to deal with. I mentioned UPS killed me with the brokerage fees to Canada and BAE offered to ship USPS next time - very cool.

Comment

You don't have to go through Ebay to buy from BAE. They have direct sales via their website ENGINE ROOM

I have a pair of Duncan J pickups I installed for someone, they didn't do it for the customer so I wound them a new set and took the Duncans back.
            Last edited by David Schwab; 09-24-2010, 01:24 PM. Reason: fixed link

Comment

The neck pickup was dead. The bridge was 7.91K. The Duncan SJB-1 bridge is 9.5K.

I rewound them pretty much like the Duncans.
              CLARIFICATION!!!
              I won't to clarify and make sure we are talking about SH-2 guitar Jazz P/Us(I don't have a bass), and not bass pickups!
              David, you were giving guitar data not bass???
              Terry
              Terry

Comment

CLARIFICATION!!!
                we are talking about SH-2 guitar Jazz P/Us(I don't have a bass), and not bass pickups!
                Terry
                That's going to be interesting...
                Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                Milano, Italy

Comment

CLARIFICATION!!!
                  I won't to clarify and make sure we are talking about SH-2 guitar Jazz P/Us(I don't have a bass), and not bass pickups!
                  Terry
                  Oh! You should have said "Duncan Jazz Neck". When people say "Jazz" they are usually talking Jazz bass pickups!

I was talking about Jazz bass pickups.

I have a Duncan Jazz neck GUITAR pickup here. Looks like 42 SPN.

Comment

Oh! You should have said "Duncan Jazz Neck". When people say "Jazz" they are usually talking Jazz bass pickups!

I was talking about Jazz bass pickups.

I have a Duncan Jazz neck GUITAR pickup here. Looks like 42 SPN.
                    Ooops, Sorry about the confusion.
                    After re-reading some of the Heavy formvar and smith design stuff, I figured out he makes bass guitars.
                    I only think in my own little world!

Salute
                    Terry
                    Terry

Comment

Ooops, Sorry about the confusion.
                      After re-reading some of the Heavy formvar and smith design stuff, I figured out he makes bass guitars.
                      I only think in my own little world!
                      Well I also made an incorrect assumption. I guess when you're a hammer, everything is a nail.
                      Last edited by David Schwab; 09-26-2010, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Doh! my bad...

Comment

When people say "Jazz" they are usually talking Jazz bass pickups!
                          That's because you're a bass player and only talk to bass players, David...

You need to get out more and hang out with guitar players... but then it's our own fault as guitar players not to hang out with bass players... mostly because we don't think that LOW.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
                          Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                          Milano, Italy

Comment

Dave's the guy I send people to when they request bass pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
                              Dave's the guy I send people to when they request bass pickups.
                              Others doing bass pickup here too.
                              -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Working...
                              X