Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working with 40 / 41 awg verus 42.

Hey all,

Basic question here. I'm working on a multicoil pickup (wal bass clone) which a pretty high total output (8 bobbins w/ 10000 turns each). I was able to get an off the shelf bobbin that could fit a little more wire. I was thinking about going from 42 to 41 or even 40 and seeing what happens.

I'm kind of familiar with what happens going up in gauge to 43 / 44 but I dont have much experience with going down. I really only work with 42 so I dont have much clue. Someone school me here

The multi-coil pickups that I make up for my Scroll Basses are wound with 41 ga; four coils of 5K turns each. There's nothing magic about using 41 vs 42 or 43. It just has slightly lower DCR and slightly more bulk for the same number of turns. I suppose it's 1 or 2% easier to wind. I wire up the four coils in series, as an alternating humbucker group, and end up with a total DCR of about 7.65K ohms. That's right about where I wanted it.

The main reason that I started using 41 ga was that I was able to buy a large quantity of it through a surplus dealer for $4/lb. It's not a popular size. I played around with bobbin geometry, turns count, etc., and found a combination that works for me. So, I've stayed with the 41 ga. When you move away from the old standard pickup designs, you can do whatever you want.

Comment

I use 40 gauge on some pickups. Especially on the neck pickup, it gives a nice hollow round tone. It has a lot of low end.

It's the same thing you get when going between 43 and 42. The 42 sounds looser. The 40 sounds looser still.

I'd like to use some 41, but have never seen it anywhere.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

My rule of thumb is to use the fattest wire I can fit on the bobbin at the desired number of turns. Conductivity is bound to be a good thing but the corollary is that more of the coil will be further away from the core so you may lose on the top end -all things be equal.
        It would be fun to find a spool of Ag wire in 43 awg. I've heard that someone in Japan makes it for a very high price. Has anyone used OFC wire?

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          I use 40 gauge on some pickups. Especially on the neck pickup, it gives a nice hollow round tone. It has a lot of low end.

It's the same thing you get when going between 43 and 42. The 42 sounds looser. The 40 sounds looser still.

I'd like to use some 41, but have never seen it anywhere.
          David--- Thanx for your post.
          I got some 41 G from Remington Industries. They seem very cool to deal with.

Comment

David--- Thanx for your post.
            This thread is 10 years old!
            DS hasn't been around in a while.
            You're dragging up some real oldies!
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              This thread is 10 years old!
              DS hasn't been around in a while.
              You're dragging up some real oldies!
              HaH!! Still valid!

Comment

This was primarily a bass pickup thread.
                David King, David Schwab, and Bruce Johnson, all make basses, and bass pickups.
                Keep that in context, for your 10 yo thread.
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                  This was primarily a bass pickup thread.
                  David King, David Schwab, and Bruce Johnson, all make basses, and bass pickups.
                  Keep that in context, for your 10 yo thread.
                  Yup, I see it was geared toward bass pickups. The intent of my response was to help him locate some 41G wire.......then I noticed that it was an old thread. Oh well.....the wire is still available!

Comment

Working...
                  X