Yellow Jacket 6L6 to EL84 for jangle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow Jacket 6L6 to EL84 for jangle?

I built a Pro5E5 replica, true to the schematic with Merc.Mag.transformers.Sometimes I like more "jangle".Has anyone used the YJ adapters to convert to EL84 tubes or have an opinion how that would work out in a tweed amplifier.My amp is in head format so I could get a British type speaker.Also, equally important, what size speaker 10,12 or 15 for best jangle or does it matter,since I would need another extension cabinet.thanks, Mark

I have used both the standard Yellow Jackets for 6L6s etc. and still have a set specifically for 6V6s (has a ground wire). They do sound pretty good and are great at giving you the EL84 perspective. I will say that they tend to add a bit of "fizz" to the sound, which can sometimes be a characteristic of EL84s anyway.

Pretty cheap and easy to try for sure...

Comment

I have a HRDx that I use the Groove Tubes Substi-tubes in to run EL84s.
      What I've noticed is the following:
      1. The clean channel still has a very Fender sound to it, but the tone controls of the HRDx aren't so bass heavy to start and it's a much better balanced amp now.
      2. The drive channels are outstanding now as opposed to the fizzy overdrive of the stock Fender drive. I'd put it right in the middle of Marshall Bluesbreaker / Vox AC30 TB territory. It does have a nice grunt with serious sparkle that just wasn't there before.

Obviously the GT-STs aren't exactly the same as the YJs and a HRDx isn't the samre as a 5E, but maybe this can help if you're familiar with the HR series and thier natural limitations in stock form.

Cheers,
      - JJG
      My Momma always said, Stultus est sicut stultus facit

Comment

Working...
      X