Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunns for guitar. Judge for yourself. Don't listen to all the nay sayers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunns for guitar. Judge for yourself. Don't listen to all the nay sayers.

I got a 69 SUNN Solarus head ( EL34 MODEL) at a thrift shop for $50 Canadian (Ya I know...Thief) about a year ago perhaps longer. I knew that a tech would have to go over it. While this has been happening and tech went away to Mexico for 6 months without finishing my amp first, I've been reading. One thing I read about and actually started to believe was that the Sunn's were not good sounding guitar amps. Well poop all over those nay Sayers some of which probably never even played a gig with one. I just played a gig with mine and It was brilliant! Super clean with my "Blackout" Telecaster responding well to the tube overdrive pedal when needed. But with the Epiphone Dot I was able to get the amp to come on sounding great with no distortion pedal added for blues and the pedal applied for all out rock. MAYBE its the orange drop caps he put in...... I never got it above 1.9 in volume (I was dominant) (Our pub owner almost never complains of sound levels) but the Epiphone Dot was howling like semi hollows do. It really does sound better with my 2 x 12" Marsland's (Traynor) than my Fender pro jr does and I liked it. Poop Poop all the nay Sayers you're perpetuating a myth. Perhaps this is true of solid state Sunn's to some degree. I will agree if ya want a Marshall sound buy a Marshall and stop picking on the Sunn's.
    Fender 2010 American Deluxe 5 string sunburst, Fender "Blackout" Telecaster, Epiphone Dot 335, Laney 300 watt Bass head 4x10 and 15" cabs, 1969 SUNN Solarus 40 watt head, Fender Pro Jr 15 watt tube amp in 2x12 cabinet (Doubles as speaker cab.) 1976 Garnet Session Man 2x12 combo 50 watt. Other miscellaneous stuff and cheap instruments.

Ok.......now I have to agree if you want a Marshall sound buy a Marshall, If you want a Laney sound buy a Laney....etc. Oh and yes I agree you are a "Thief"!.......LOL .........good score!

Sunns are great tube amps in my opinion and they had probably made some of the best sounding solid state amps next to Kustom and such...

My 1st gen Model T is the true "Bomb", my Enforcers are "Beasts" that are capable of producing a nice overdriven sound, the 60 watters such as the Sorados, 190's etc are clean sounding amps and will bring out the best from your pedals!

Last edited by AXEnGEAR4J; 01-07-2011, 04:43 PM.

Comment

OK, which Guitar Center(s) did you rob?
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I wish I could find amps like these at our local "Guitar Center".....lol

Comment

Working...
        X