Forum Newb looking for amp suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Newb looking for amp suggestions

This is my first post in your forum... and I am sure this sort of question gets asked a lot. Please try to bear with me as I have a lot to learn about guitar amplifiers.

I have been playing for enjoyment over a decade or so, nothing serious. I currently own a Fender Hot rod deluxe 2x12 amplifier. Well, now I am playing at home and the Fender is simply too powerful to enjoy at low volumes.

My ideal scenario is to sell my Deville and buy a small, reasonable quality amplifier to replace it... and hopefully have some spare money. I am looking for some recommendations, preferably under 200 dollars if possible. I know that amplifier preferences are very personal and I will need to make the decision in the end but I could really use some help narrowing the search. Is there a high value cult favorite?

My head is spinning over the choices... anything could help.

If you don't mind used stuff, a Fender MusicMaster bass amp (used/ebay)makes a really nice practive amp. The $200 limit makes this a tough one. Epiphone al;so has a small amp of some kind you might want to google that.
    DIY Links

Tolex Tutorial
    http://www.guitarkitbuilder.com/cont...lifier-cabinet

Chassis:
    http://www.guitarkitbuilder.com/cont...lifier-chassis

Turret board:
    http://www.guitarkitbuilder.com/cont...d-construction

Comment

No, I do not mind used at all, I will look into the Music Masters. I suppose the 200 dollar limit is not really a firm one, more of a suggestion really. My old Deville is in fantastic overall condition so I am assuming it will sell for a bit more... within reason of course. I had read somewhere about the Epiphone Valve junior amps but really don't know anything about them. There is a small "amp doctor" shop in my town, maybe that would be a good place to look. I remember he did not like my Deville because of the wiring... something about the connections to the boards being poor.
      Thank you for the suggestion.

Comment

you can probably get closer to $400-$500 for your 2x12 deville... if you like that amp try checking out the fender Hot Rod Series blues junior, you could get a used one or they just came out with the hot rod series III which are pretty cool, couple differences, but they run $500 NEW but go to guitar center and more than likely they will give you one for $450 out the door if you haggle with them, they always come down for me. you can get the earlier series ones which are equally just as great (some say better but the III's are very new so theres not much info on them) for about $300-$400 in very very good condition. This is what is on the fender website about the new upgrades...The new Blues Junior III also includes these upgrades: Easier reading black control panel with front reading text, new badge; vintage Fender "dog bone" handle, vintage-sized jewel light, "Sparkle" mod, rattle-reducing shock absorbers for EL84 tubes, super-sensitive Fender Special Design 12" "lightning bolt" speaker by Eminence, and heavy-duty set screw "chicken head" knobs.

I think the blues junior would be a great idea for you if you were happy with your Deville 2x12, very similar amp with similar characteristics.

couple other ideas: Used Vox ac-15, Used orange tiny terror maybe?, Egnater tweaker would be another great one, very very versitile! Fender pro juniors can be found used for like $200 but are very very simple(one tone knob, one volume knob)

hope this helped!
        Happiness. Only real when shared.

Comment

Yes, that is very helpful. Thank you!

I like the idea of the blues junior, or even the Pro junior.... even if it is pretty basic.

As far as my hot-rod deville goes I would say my unqualified opinion of it is up and down. Maybe it's part my fault but I guess I always thought the amp sounded a little lifeless. I never seemed to find settings that I completely liked. It does sound better with the volume around 3 or 4 but it is just so so loud. In all the time that I have played I just never ever really learned much about gear. I bought the Hot Rod Deville with almost no research, and hadn't even played one much at that time. I did the same thing with my guitar, went out and bought a Gibson but didn't have the knowledge to watch for defects and choose a "good one".

Now bicycles I know. Too bad that won't do me any good here!

Comment

Tube amps generally sound better the louder they are turned up, the amps I suggested would definitely achieve this but still would have enough volume to have fun. another thing to try, if you got one of those used you might have enough money to do a couple things to make it sound even better! 1. get new tubes. Amps always dont come with the best tubes and are not always biased correctly. Most amps are biased towards the colder side when you buy them because the manufacturer wants the tubes to have a long life, however the tubes should really in most cases be in the middle or even on the hot side, that will deffinetly make your amp sound much better. 2 get a new speaker for it! there are tons of great options for speakers these days and since those amps are just 1 speaker combos you wont have to drop $900 on speakers.
            Happiness. Only real when shared.

Comment

I agree and that is the problem... my amp is screaming turned up around 4. I have been watching a few on ebay but I know deals are few and far between there. I am going to the local "amp doctor" tomorrow to see if he has anything interesting for sale.

Heres hoping.

Comment

Working...
              X