guitar kits???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guitar kits???

I am about to "mentor" a student at the local high school for a senior project. He want's to build a guitar from a kit. He likes my guitar which is a custom strat type that I built, but NOT from a kit. To build from scratch is more than he wants to handle. I figure we can make it a passable project with a kit once we cover the electronics, scale theory, finishing, etc. on paper. So... My Q is:

What's a good kit to start with considering that this kid doesn't have a lot of $$$ and really wants something that sounds/plays nice that he can use and be proud of.

TIA

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Hey.?. Thanks for steppin' up guys.

I guess I'll just slump back to the amp forum where I normally hang and take my best shot at whatever the information super highway has to offer.

Chuck

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Just saw this Chuck. Sorry for the delay. Can't believe no one answered.

The GFS website has some decent guitar kits. Check out Saga kits as well. Both can be had relatively cheaply. They come with half-paddle headstocks to cut your own shape.
      John R. Frondelli
      dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Thanks John. I did see the Saga kits. From what I've read they're really good about 90% of the time. The other 10% is problems like twisted neck, poor fit, poor wood matching and voids, etc. And some have been getting shipped with those jank single coils that use plain iron poles and a bar magnet. Bridge has pot metal saddles, you know what I mean. In looking around I think the Saga kit may be the best overall but if the kid can afford it I'm going to suggest that he buy parts individually. I can donate some parts and we should be able to do the balance for about $400US. The up side is that he would have a really nice guitar in the end.

Thanks

Chuck

Comment

If you are looking for individual parts, you might try Stewart McDonald. I built a thinline Tele but by the time I was done, I had close to $600 in it, but I wasn't worried about price much as much as the specifics of the guitar. I am sure you could do it cheaper, especially if you donate some of the electronics and hardware. You may also try eBay for parts.

Comment

Stew-Mac parts are by Mghty Mite.Decent stuff actually, that you can find cheaper and plentiful on eBay.
            John R. Frondelli
            dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

+++ I'll see what my student can do for a budget. Thanks guys.

Comment

Carvin kits are a little more expensive, but the quality's pretty good.

Comment

Any kit guitar project is only as good as the patience and skills applied by the maker.

Here are some examples of Saga Kits. Follow the link provided.

The Saga Sagas!

Also, I wouldn't worry about the parts included in the kit, as they are as good as any provided on a complete guitar valued similarly or even slightly more. Remember that it is the process and the knowledge gained during the build process that provides the greatest value to the maker. Upgrades can happen later once the builder knows why it matters.

Just my two cents...
                  Mandopicker

Comment

Originally posted by Mandopicker View Post
                    Upgrades can happen later once the builder knows why it matters.
                    That's a good point. I just hate to see a young guy with pie eyes go to a lot of trouble to build a mediocre guitar. But it's fair to say that there are rites of passage that we all went through. If my young friend is "on the path" he will go through them for himself.

If the hardware and pickups in the kit are on parr with a similarly priced guitar then it's absolute junk. I can't go for that, but it really is HIS project so it really depends on how far he's willing to go $$$. If he cheaps out he'll learn the error of his ways soon enough I suppose.

Thanks for the Saga info.

Comment

I actually have built a SAGA kit because it was given to me as a gift. They are O.K. I mean, he will probably feel good that he built it and to be honest they are not that bad of guitars, I mean they are probably close to being squire quality, but they are easy to make decent. Since you have good background with guitar building, then you can probably take the kit and make it 10x better yourself.
                      Happiness. Only real when shared.

Comment

Chuck,

I would like to contribute a wiring kit to your student's project if I may. One reason I started my business/hobby was because of my newphew and his teenage garage bandmate's desire to maintain and repair their guitars but having limited financial resources.

Go to This Page and pick out any Serenity wiring kit you would like and send me a PM with the kit number and where to send it.

Thanks for being a "Mentor" and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by santellan View Post
                          Chuck,

I would like to contribute a wiring kit to your student's project if I may. One reason I started my business/hobby was because of my newphew and his teenage garage bandmate's desire to maintain and repair their guitars but having limited financial resources.

Go to This Page and pick out any Serenity wiring kit you would like and send me a PM with the kit number and where to send it.

Thanks for being a "Mentor" and good luck.
                          Now THAT, Ladies and Gents, is very cool!

Comment

That IS a very kind offer. The site and kits look tre' cool. I really like the modular arrangement and options. Great idea.

I'll talk to my student and see what he wants. Thank you.

Chuck

Comment

My guitar kits giving me some problem and that's why my guitar not working properly.Its making sound like zzzz ...Any one give suggestion...
                              [url=http://www.canadabusinessplans.org]small grants[/url]

Comment

Working...
                              X