What Happened To My Amp??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Happened To My Amp??????

i bought a crate v32 palomino about 2 years ago. i havent changed the tubes yet. last week i ordered 4 sovtek el84s, and 3 sovtek 127xwa preamp tubes. the preamps were the wrong ones, but no big deal. i put the old ones back in. when i put the new el84s in, there was no sound at all coming from my amp. so i put the old groove tubes back in, and now theres no sound with them. so, i put the new ones back in, and left it on for a few hours, to see what would happen. i plugged in after a while, and was still getting no sound. i turned the volume up all they way, and it made a loud crackling grinding noise, and started to smoke. it didnt catch fire, but it was close. does anyone out there possibly have an idea of what happened to cause this?

Any chance you accidentally put a 12AX7 where an EL84 was supposed to go (or vice versa)?

Other than that, one or more of the new tubes could have been defective (happens far too often).

In any case the presence of smoke means that something inside is damaged and needs to be replaced/repaired.

Comment

When you say that "the preamps were the wrong ones," what do you mean? Sovtek 12AX7WA (assuming the 127wxa was a typo) is a correct preamp tube for that amp. Did the dealer send you the wrong tubes?

Do as Mark suggests and make sure all your tubes are in the correct sockets. If you got all the locations right, any number of tube failures could have caused a screen, plate, grid, or cathode resistor to smoke.

But whatever caused the problem, now that you've seen smoke, it needs the attention of a tech.
      -Erik
      Euthymia Electronics
      Alameda, CA USA
      Sanborn Farallon Amplifier

Comment

Working...
      X