Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone willing to help a n00b replace a PT in a working 1967 Super Reverb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone willing to help a n00b replace a PT in a working 1967 Super Reverb?

I have a 67 Super Reverb that has a PT from a newer 70's Super Reverb. The amp was just serviced and runs fine, I just dont like the way it sounds. The plate voltage is a bit high so I have to run a 5U4GB in place of the GZ34/5AR4 (which I prefer). And I think the higher plate voltage also does not allow the amp to breakup like a typical Blackface Super Reverb.

I want to replace the PT with a Mercury Magnetics FBFS-P40, from what I understand this is the most accurate reproduction available.

I understand the basic safety requirements and have done a few little bias mods and cap replacements on my Princetons and Deluxes...I'm just not sure what (and how) I need to test before and after the swap.

I could just assume that I can remove the virtual center tap, wire the replacement in, compare voltages to the schematics, bias the amp, and be on my merry way...but nothings ever that easy so I thought that I would ask for some help...

I want to do this myself (as in not ship it to a tech)....I also dont want to smoke a new PT or the NOS tubes so I am just asking for some help as I cant find a step by step guide for replacing a PT on a 67 Super Reverb...better safe than sorry, right?

TIA!
    Last edited by w302nv; 10-04-2010, 01:37 AM.

Originally posted by w302nv View Post
    I have a 67 Super Reverb that has a PT from a newer 70's Super Reverb. The amp was just serviced and runs fine, I just dont like the way it sounds. The plate voltage is a bit high so I have to run a 5U4GB in place of the GZ34/5AR4 (which I prefer). And I think the higher plate voltage also does not allow the amp to breakup like a typical Blackface Super Reverb.

I want to replace the PT with a Mercury Magnetics FBFS-P40, from what I understand this is the most accurate reproduction available.

I understand the basic safety requirements and have done a few little bias mods and cap replacements on my Princetons and Deluxes...I'm just not sure what (and how) I need to test before and after the swap.

I could just assume that I can remove the virtual center tap, wire the replacement in, compare voltages to the schematics, bias the amp, and be on my merry way...but nothings ever that easy so I thought that I would ask for some help...

I want to do this myself (as in not ship it to a tech)....I also dont want to smoke a new PT or the NOS tubes so I am just asking for some help as I cant find a step by step guide for replacing a PT on a 67 Super Reverb...better safe than sorry, right?

TIA!
    Do you have some measurements? If lowering the plate voltage is all you want to do, you can do it with a couple of zener diodes. A lot cheaper than a damn expensive MM transformer and you can dial in the voltage you want.

Comment

Working...
    X