Help with Peavey XR 684 PA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Peavey XR 684 PA?

Hi, I'm new here, but I do recognize a couple names from the TDPRI here! I don't really have a lot of knowledge of electronics other than basic guitar electronics. I also took a basic electronics course at a local tech center, but that was about 20 years ago, so go easy on me...

Anyway, my brother recently gave me what basically appears to be an almost brand new Peavey XR 684 (2x200w PA). He knows nothing about musical equipment, nor does the guy he got if from. He was just told that it didn't work and had been sent in for repair and was apparently told that it wasn't worth fixing.

So, I hooked it up and ran it to a couple small PA speakers (the ones that came with my current PA - a cheap little 80w Squier 4). I hooked a guitar up directly to it and I actually get sound - if the channel level is around half way up and the main level is cranked, it's about half as loud as my cheap squier PA. With a mic plugged in, I had to crank both the channel and main volume to hear anything, and even then it was pretty faint. I tried doing this on several of the first 6 channels - same for everything. I also tried combinations of plugging into the different outputs on the back (PA 1, PA 2, left and right, etc.) all with the same result.

So, everything seems to work on it, just at a low volume. It seems to be a really nice amp, so I'd love to get it working. Any ideas on what could possibly be wrong?

I greatly appreciate any help/info anyone can give! Thanks in advance!

A large number of things could be wrong.

Do you have a good voltmeter and know how to use it? And can you solder well enough to remove and replace things like integrates circuits from the circuit board?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

And sad to say, that too many shops say not worth fixing, when what they really mean is "I don;t know how to fix it." If it is "not worth fixing," then they shoukld be able to tell you exactly what would be needed for the repair. (Circuit board turned to charcoal, or giant crack across main board, or something.)
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Enzo. I do have a good voltmeter and know how to use it okay. And I think that I solder pretty good. However, I really don't remember enough from electronics class to recall how to test ic's, etc. And I am a bit wary about the fact that I've heard there are things you can touch in these where the voltage can kill you. If you have any basic ideas for things that I might be able to test, I'd be happy to hear them and give it a try. Otherwise I guess I'll have to try to find a good repair person.

Thanks again!

Comment

There is of course the 120v power from the wall outlet inside. And you can get a pretty good poke from the main power supply in there, but turn off the switch and it discharges in a few seconds. This is not a tube amp, so the several hundred voltas they use is not present, so these are a lot less lethal than tube amps. Still to be respected, but not as scary.

The amp is worth fixing in any scenario I can think of. The expensive part is the power transformer, and it sounds like that is working.

I think you should go to the main PV web page and under support, find th service centers nearest you, and take the amp to one of them. or box it up and send it to Peavey in Mississippi, their service department charges reasonably and they certainly know what they are doing. Tell them your repair budget, and pay for a diagnosis and estimate. Most shops will apply diagnostic charges to any actual repair.

Comment

Thanks again, Enzo - you're probably right. I don't want to get in over my head and permanently damage anything. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
            X