Ampeg R212R Reverberocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg R212R Reverberocket

Not sure if this is a problem, or a quirk of circuit design. Hoping someone on this board will know from experience, or have something I can test to confirm whether it's worth paying for bench time, or just a component/part i can swap out.

Amp is a 90s R212R with new power amp tubes (GT6L6s, rated 7). On the clean channel, the amp produces no audible sound until the volume knob is at or over 2. And, from 2-3.5, if I really dig in with a pick on a guitar with fairly high output pickups, what I get is a mushy, unmusical distortion. Sounds a little thin, but otherwise fine, with a normal attack. At 4 and above, everything seems to function and sound like I'd expect a tube amp would.

Wouldn't mind if the sound was a little better at lower volumes, but, it's a gigging amp, and at those volume levels, it suits me just fine.

Possibly bad speaker? Typically a speaker with a mangled voice coil may sound ok at higher volumes but more noticeably bad at lower volumes. Something to check. Otherwise something may be biased too cold... power tubes are a good guess.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I would never have suspected the speaker. Easy enough to test. And having the amp biased is probably a must...I got it used, but I have no idea if the previous owner(s) ever bothered to have it biased correctly.

Comment

Working...
      X