No announcement yet.

Longer 5mm slugs/screws for humbucker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longer 5mm slugs/screws for humbucker?

I'd like to do some testing with my 8-coil pickup. I'd like to test ceramic bar magnet under the coils, steel keepers and slugs/screws. Is there any place where I could find 25mm long 5mm diameter slugs or screws? Or can I use something like 5mm steel rod where I could cut the slugs or 5mm screws found from local hardware store? I have no idea about the carbon content of these rods or screws we have here.
    Marko

You are located in Italy,right!? The steelrods you find in hardware stores are out of St37 (Euronorm S235 hot rolled) steel or St12(cold rolled). Itīs comparable to 1010 steel. StW22(hot rolled) is comparable to 1018 steel. But try what you can find.
    Bernd
    www.t-rod-guitars.de

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I'm from Finland, but I guess your info is quite right here as well. I guess I'll go "the cheaper the better" way with the rods.
      Marko

Comment

a great alloy for that is 12L14 or 1215. Often refered to "quick machining steel". It's available in the us as 5mm annealed rod which is exactly what you want. If we have it in metric, odds are you do too

Comment

I found a S355 rod that (if I found out correct) has 0.20% carbon in it. Is this ok or should I try to find less carbon steel?
          Marko

Comment

Working...
          X