Help! Anyone recognize this amp head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Anyone recognize this amp head

I bought this amp head from Goodwill today and I cannot find a name, model or serial number anywhere. I pulled the amp out of the cabinet and nothing there either. It uses 2 EL34's. I can supply pics of the cab if needed. The cab is black with a black & silver grill cloth. Hopefully someone can tell what this is by the pc boards. I have no idea what each knob does and no idea what the jacks are for. I did find the power toggle switch on the rear and the tubes glow when powered on. That's it. Please provide any assistance. This is my first post too.
    Attached Files

Post a pic of the cab...hopefully focused just a smidgeon better? And put a lot more light on there too, that'll help the camera be in focus as well as making the pics less dark.

Are there ANY discernable markings on the PC boards? I saw one mark that might have read 72 but I don't think this is a Kustom '72.

Are there any preamp tubes under the sillver cover?

Comment

Maybe a Musicman?

Comment

Originally posted by nashvillebill View Post
        Post a pic of the cab...hopefully focused just a smidgeon better? And put a lot more light on there too, that'll help the camera be in focus as well as making the pics less dark.

Are there ANY discernable markings on the PC boards? I saw one mark that might have read 72 but I don't think this is a Kustom '72.

Are there any preamp tubes under the sillver cover?
        Ok. Here are, hopefully, some better pics. The cab is actually black. The mallorys are under the silver tin thing.....thanks a bunch
        Attached Files

Comment

Solid state preamp, tube power amp, either a Musicman as mentioned earlier or a Peavey (earlier Classic) but I really don't think it's a Peavey, layout doesn't resemble my Classic VTX or my recollections of earlier incarnations of the Classic.

My guess is a Musicman RD-65 or HD series.
          Last edited by nashvillebill; 10-14-2010, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Jag & Nashville Bill have it, Musicman. Type with output tubes driven thru cathodes by transistor (rather than the earliest ones with tube phase splitter).
            Last edited by g1; 10-14-2010, 02:42 AM. Reason: dial up
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Here's a pic of the back of an ealier Musicman 65 with the tube phase splitter. Musicman 65 image by virtualjazzbo on Photobucket Note the similarities with the silver cover over the caps, etc.

The Musicman, (like their Peavey cousins with SS preamps and tube outputs) fly under the radar, but most everybody that plays one really likes it. I'd say its well worth fixing up. Schematics are online but hard to read.

Comment

Awesome guys. I'll look to find manuals and schematics for this head. It does play and sounds pretty good, but pots need some cleaning. Anyone have experience with this unit?

Comment

Yeah, it's a Music Man- HD65 by the looks of it. I had that very amp, still have the chassis and output transformer and a select few other bits. I wish I hadn't gutted it so quickly! That said, I still think it's a great chassis to build something different. The output transformer is excellent-6k6:8&4 ohms, nice strong bass response, probably good for 75 watts or more at "guitar" frequencies. The amp won't distort pretty but it was a great amp to use with pedals. I used to use mine with a 6x10 and an assortment of effects.

I've been looking around for a power transformer that fits the chassis decently. I'm probably going to end up building some sort of a channel switcher out of mine.

jamie

Comment

Working...
                  X