Used Command 8 connectivity issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Command 8 connectivity issues

I'm running Pro Tools LE 8, on a MacBook Pro OSX 10.5.8, through an MBox 2. I just got my hands on a Command 8 controller, good shape, used in a small hip hop studio. I've read the getting started guides 5 times (they all say the drivers are installed with PT and I can find a file that says Command8.bundle but mac doesn't know how to open it), looked on 3 different forum sites for answers, tried uninstalling and reinstalling Pro Tools and still, all I can do is playback through the Command 8 from the monitor out on the MBox, while the Command 8 display just shows "Command|8 (Offline).

Help?

Does the USB light on the Command 8 come on? Can you see it in Audio Setup?

At the time of installing Pro Tools, you had to select the option to install the Command 8 drivers. Did you do that? (that's what the command8.bundle file is: the driver that the Pro Tools installer will look for)

Also, maybe you can't use the Command 8 and the Mbox at once with Pro Tools LE?
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

The AVID Forums say it shouldn't be a problem. The USB light is on. I uninstalled Pro Tools and am reinstalling now (again) but this time I'm attaching a picture of my installation options.

Comment

I posted this on the AVID Forum too. They posted a link saying more or less, "Just go here". Though I guess the link must have been changed. Anywhoo, here's my situation in the most detail I could muster:

The link shown above reroutes to "http://www.avid.com/US/resources/digi-orientation" which is like dropping a kid off at Grand Central Station and telling him to find his way to Chicago (tells you how much confidence I have in my abilities, lol)...

When I reinstall PT LE 8, the only install options I'm given are shown here
        http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...alloptions.jpg
        I've installed the 8.0.4 update and the CS2 update. Running Mac OSX 10.5.8 with an MBox 2. (On a 2009 MacBook Pro,2.53 GHz Intel Core Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 with 2 USB ports, one for the Command 8 one for the MBox 2)
        The USB light comes on and the MIDI Out 2 light under it blinks when I start Pro Tools and my tracks play through the monitors running from my MBox 2 monitor outs through the Command 8 but that's it.
        Under "Setup > Peripherals" I have the following options and settings:
        Synchronization
        - MTC Reader and Generator
        - MTC Reader Port : "Any"
        - MTC Generator Port : "None"
        Machine Control
        - MIDI Machine Control (Master)
        -[checked] Enable : "Command8, Port 1" - ID "127" - Preroll "90" Frames
        -MIDI Machine Control Remote (Slave)
        -[not checked] Enable : ID "127"
        MIDI Controllers
        - #1 Type : "Command8" - Receive From : "Cmnd8,Prt 1" - Send To : "Cmnd8,Prt2" - # Ch's : "8"
        Ethernet Controllers
        -[not checked] Enable
        Satellites
        -[not checked] Enable

I can also open the "Digidesign CoreAudio Manager" but the window shows the following:
        Digidesign HW : Unsupported Device
        Channels : N/A
        Attached Clients : 0
        Buffer Size : 512
        (Buttons at the Bottom)
        "HW Setup..." (grayed out)
        "Prefs..." Which brings up a window that shows:
        - [checked] Hide manager if auto-launched by client
        - [checked] Auto-quit manager when last client quits
        - [unchecked] Use C|24 stereo routing (L/R to 1/3)
        - (grayed out)[unchecked] Use XMON stereo routing (L/R t 1/5)
        - (grayed out)[unchecked] Mirror analog outs 1 & 2 to digital outs (002/003)
        "Connect" Which does nothing when clicked
        "Quit" Which is the only button that works

Also, when I look in the Digidesign folder "Applications>Digidesign>Pro Tools>Controllers" I see a list of .bundle programs for 003, C24, Command8, Control24, Digi002, etc... but when I try to open the Command8.bundle, I get a Mac Dialog Window that says "There is no default application specified to open the document 'Command8.bundle"

That is about all the information I have. Please help.

Comment

OK, so according to what you've posted, it looks as if the transport controls and faders on the Command 8 should work but the audio interface doesn't? Or does nothing work at all? What happens when you try to follow the instructions on page 14 of the guide?

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor..._v80_56073.pdf

That command8.bundle is a driver for use by Pro Tools. It's normal that you can't open it by double-clicking it in Finder. The fact that it exists shows that it was installed successfully.

Edit: I discovered it doesn't even have an audio interface.
          Last edited by Steve Conner; 10-22-2010, 09:27 PM.
          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

See what happens when I only have an online pdf version of the manual...? OMG Thank you Steve, SO MUCH!
            I was so worried about the fact that I didn't see the option to install the drivers during installation, that I didn't see the warning section on page 14 that says to use Port 1 for send and receive. That fixed it immediately.

Steve, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Comment

Well, I have a Mac, but I've never run Pro Tools on it. I've only used it on the PC. It must have been sheer luck that we stumbled on the solution.

They probably changed the install procedure, but forgot to update the manual, so you were looking for an option that wasn't there any more.

Comment

Working...
              X