Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	862941Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	862942

Here are a couple photos of the Silvertone 5232 Reel to Reel I picked up in a thrift shop. It had a 6X4 rectifier. 6EU7 preamp, and 6EM7 output mounted on a PCB. I ended up gutting the chassis and keeping just the transformers. I mounted new sockets and converted it to a tweed Champ circuit using a 12AX7 and 6V6. I kept the 6X4 rectifier. It sounded very weak and sterile before I gutted it, and it sounds, well, like a tweed Champ now! The 6X4 has lots of sag - almost too much. I left the original 4" speaker in the cab, but mounted a different 4" speaker from an old Sony reel to reel. It actually sounds very sweet. Lots of breakup, very early (I like that!). And yes, that is left-over Pergo on the front panel. The amp is for a friend who is an artist, and I am sure he will make this amp look cool before it is all said and done. He will use it mostly for harp and cigar-box guitar. I admit, it's pretty ugly, but boy, does it ever flatter a Stratocaster at low volumes!!! Not my best work, but it's tough to retro-fit a totally different circuit into an existing chassis....

very very cool. I think it looks sweet! Good job man.
    Happiness. Only real when shared.

Comment

Working...
    X