Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with Frontman 15G input jack replacement

Hi

I'm a complete noob to this and my starter for 10 is to swap out a croaked Frontman 15g input jack (mono, 4-pin) for a Neutrik 1/4" part (as I use on all my guitars), so
    only two contacts to wire up. Modding guitars - now that's easy . . . . .

It all seemed so simple but having read a few threads on this and getting nowhere in a hurry it obviously ain't, so - has anyone done anything similar and can anyone tell me how to go about this?

Speak in simple terms as well please - I'm used to wiring diagrams that actually resemble the bits!

Many thanks

Welcome to the place. The original jack has a normally closed contact, that grounds the input to the amp when there is nothing plugged into the jack.

Does your replacement jack have this contact available? There may also be a ground connection problem, as the original jack is plastic and not directly in contact with the chassis ground.

Comment

Glad to be here, and thanks for the help

The original kit has been junked but I remember the contact you describe - I sketched the thing out for when the time came to slip in the Neutrik, which is much the same as a Switchcraft. To answer your question directly, the answer would be no.

Looking at the connection of the new jack the body is in contact with the mount plate and I have read somewhere in here that there needs to be a fibre or nylon washer breaking the connection between the jack and the mount plate - is this what you are referring to?

I'll see if I can't get something graphic up - either a sketch or some photos - if that's any help?

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by bear_it View Post
        Looking at the connection of the new jack the body is in contact with the mount plate and I have read somewhere in here that there needs to be a fibre or nylon washer breaking the connection between the jack and the mount plate - is this what you are referring to?
        Yes, the ground connection at the jack should be isolated from the metal chassis.

Not having the shorting contact on the jack will mean that there will be some hum and noise generated when there is no instrument plugged into the amp.

Comment

Hi again

Sorry for not getting back but I took a little time to source some decent rubber to insulate the Neutrik jack from the chassis - didn't want to rush in and screw it up. I'll see how I get on and let you know

Comment

FAO 52 Bill

Been a while, and some good news. I found a UK stockist of aftermarket Fender amp jacks so bought an OEM replacement. I had some success with the Neutrik jack by using a combination of shouldered washers to isolate it from the chassis, but sadly it wasn't strong enough of a mount, so I went the OEM route

Thanks for your help, though - it was appreciated

Dave

Comment

Working...
            X