Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaker Cab - HELP! - One Cab with various amps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Cab - HELP! - One Cab with various amps.

Hello All,

Looking for some help with speaker cab help. Basically I have various amp heads all with different impedance transformers and I am looking at making something that could work with the majority of the heads.

This is what I have thus far.

-66' Super Reverb - 2 ohm
    -68' Bassman - 4 ohm
    -64' Bandmaster - 4 ohm
    -59' Bassman Clone with switchable 4 -8 -16 ohm impedance output transformer

- 4 - 100 watt Jensen blackbird 10" - rated 8 ohm

What I am trying to do is finding a wiring option that will give me both 2 ohms and 4 ohms so that I could run all the amps I currently have. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Tim

Wire 3 speakers in parallel to get 2.67ohms, will work for the Super Reverb and the 4ohm output on the others (assuming your bassman clone has a primary Z of 3.6K or higher). You can only wire 4x8ohm speakers for 2ohms, 8ohms or 32ohms.

Or, run 2 speakers into 1x1/4" plug, 2 speakers into another 1/4" plug and just run the 4ohm amps into 2 speakers and both sets of 2 speakers (2ohms total) into the SR main & ext jacks simultaneously (don't use the SR ext. speaker jack with a 2ohm cab connected to the main jack).

Comment

There's a way to wire the cab with a DPDT switch to change it from 8ohm to 2ohm, but without removing two of the speakers from the circuit, you won't be able to get a 4ohm load from 4) 8ohm speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by bkahuna View Post
        There's a way to wire the cab with a DPDT switch to change it from 8ohm to 2ohm, but without removing two of the speakers from the circuit, you won't be able to get a 4ohm load from 4) 8ohm speakers.
        Marshall does something similar with thier 4x12 cabinets. Using 16 ohm speakers, the Marshall cabinet can do 4 ohms or 16 ohms with all four speakers or 8 ohms with either pair, which they call stereo. With 8 ohm speakers you can have 2 or 8 ohms with all four or 4 for each pair.

I like the three speaker solution. Simple and elegant, plus you don't see a lot of three speaker cabinets these days. A lot of people are mixing and matching speakers these days within the same cabinet. This adds an interesting wrinkle.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. It looks like I have decided to make another cab with 2 x 12" -8ohms. That will give me either 4 ohms or 16.... and then the 4x10" at either 2 or 8ohms... that should cover all bases. Thanks again.

Tim

Comment

Working...
          X