What to do with Push-Pull pot in 5F8/6A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with Push-Pull pot in 5F8/6A

I'm proud to say my little novice hands managed to assemble a properly functioning 5F8A Twin. I used a push-pull pot on the normal volume control, but am not sure what to do with it. Does anyone have a suggestion for a simple mod to put it to good use?

2nd stage cathode bypass cap in parallel with the 820ohm resistor at V2 pin3? Bridge the switch contacts with a 100K resistor. Gives a gain boost, use a .68uf to 25uf cap

Comment

MWJB has a good idea, I'd use a 1uf, but that's just my taste. Maybe something in the NFB might work too.
      "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
      - Yogi Berra

Comment

Seems like I've done alot of talkin' to you lately MWJB, lol. I think I see what you're talking about. I see this same idea in the Tweed Super and Bandmaster. So I take one leg of the cap and drop it to pin 3 of V2 and then run it up to a switch lug, stick a 100k resistor between the switch lugs, and then finish by taking my other switch lug to a ground? This sound like the "Fat" switch in my Vibro-King that I've heard about.

Comment

You got it, yes it is commonly called a "fat" switch. The 100K accross the switch reduces any popping, when you throw the switch, that you might otherwise get.

Comment

The switch could be used to disconnect the unused channel at the mixing resistor. This gives a gain boost of about 6dB.
            WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
            REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

A 'bright' switch, or to bring in an additional bright(er) cap.
              My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

I finally got around to doing it, lol. I went with .25uf. It works like a charm!

Click image for larger version

Name:	amp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	822802

Comment

A 25u you mean?
                  The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Yes 25uf. My mistake

Comment

Working...
                    X