Framus Star Bass pickup problem - high Ohm reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framus Star Bass pickup problem - high Ohm reading

Ive just got my Framus Star Bass but one of the pickups isnt working at all and the other has some sound in it, but both of them read about 5-10 MOhm and falls slowly to 0.5-1MOhm.

What has happend to the pickups?

I have disconnected them from the circuit and checked if there are a broken winding, but it looks fine.

Are you taking this reading from the cable plug, or have you taken the bass apart and are you reading straight from the pickup leads? If the first case, you likely have a bad switch. If the latter, then someone may have run some DC into those windings and fried a few turns, you may be reading only a ghost resistance, because from 5 to 10 megohm it is more likely to be a multimeter error rather than an actual resistance.
    Valvulados

Comment

okey, is it possible to see it on the windings?
      I have taken them apart from the switch and the one with no sound I have opend up and re-tinned.

the meter works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by HKS View Post
        okey, is it possible to see it on the windings?
        I have taken them apart from the switch and the one with no sound I have opend up and re-tinned.

the meter works fine.
        You need an LCR meter, for the inductance meausrement. If there is a break it'll show unusually low inductance. An analog multimeter should not move the needle in this case on the 1x scale. The digital multimeter might show you 5 megs but that is obviously a wrong number.
        Valvulados

Comment

How much would be a normal inductance in this kind of pickup?

Comment

Working...
          X