Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eric Barbour's 6BM8 One-Tube Reverb Imagined...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dchang0 View Post
    .... By leaving out the other side, it forces the amp modder to come up with a solution for recovery and mixing on his own. In other words, Barbour's "one tube reverb" isn't a complete reverb--it's a "one-tube half-reverb" or "one-tube reverb driver."
    Maybe this is a solution... The Vox V125Lead has a cascode (JFET/12ax7) input. The gain of the tube hardly matters in this configuration. You can use a lower u triode (12at7) if that's all you have. This circuit can be tweaked (see below) to give you a true voltage gain of 1000x. That gives you 5V out from 5mV in. Distortion is actually pretty low too - the 2nd harmonic is down ~50dB.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	857621

Anyway - I suspect you could mount the little J113 on the tube socket, so maybe this counts as 1.1 tubes...

Something to consider ...
    “If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.”
    -Alan K. Simpson, U.S. Senator, Wyoming, 1979-97

Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

https://sites.google.com/site/stringsandfrets/

Comment

Originally posted by uneumann View Post
      Maybe this is a solution... The Vox V125Lead has a cascode (JFET/12ax7) input. The gain of the tube hardly matters in this configuration. You can use a lower u triode (12at7) if that's all you have. This circuit can be tweaked (see below) to give you a true voltage gain of 1000x. That gives you 5V out from 5mV in. Distortion is actually pretty low too - the 2nd harmonic is down ~50dB.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58314[/ATTACH]

Anyway - I suspect you could mount the little J113 on the tube socket, so maybe this counts as 1.1 tubes...

Very cool! This could be a fantastic and easy-to-fit-in solution. I could replace the daughterboard I have in my amp with a newer one that has space for the JFET on the daughterboard. Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

Originally posted by uneumann View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58314[/ATTACH]

This was my solution for the recovery amp in the 6U8A reverb amp I designed for my buddy's Silvertone 1474. I used an LSK170 for the JFET for its very low noise characteristics.
        If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Awesome--thank you!

Comment

One other thing: If you go with the hybrid cascode, I found it much easier to add a potentiometer for the jfet source biasing resistor. This is the most critical part of the circuit to it's operation, and the differences in jfet tolerances can make it unstable to go with one resistance figure.
            It's easy enough to bias a particular fet. Adjust the source resistance for minimum current and gradually decrease the resistance while measuring the upper triode plate voltage until the plate voltage gets to the desired idle voltage set by the load line.

you dig?
            If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

I dig--thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X