wax potting lipstick pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wax potting lipstick pickups

I have a mex made tele with a microphonic lipstick pickup, meaning it squeals like a pig with a cranked amp.
    Ultimately I will buy a replacement pickup, but I am in the middle of a number of other personal projects and am therefore skint!

Is it possible to wax pot these pickups? If so is there anything I should watch out for when doing it.

I did search but nothing came up specifically

Thanks

Mike

Mike,
    Is it really a lipstick tube pickup or just a chrome covered tele pickup?

Comment

Thanks david, I guess its just a cover actually, as it appears to rattle slightly. which wont be helping the squeel no doubt. if that the case I assume it can be potted as normal.

thanks

Comment

Id say that's your problem right there .If any metal is loose enough to vibrate a pickup will squeal like a pig ,in your case it's that cover , You need to pot it with the cover on
        Last edited by copperheadroads; 11-16-2010, 01:55 PM.
        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Is it a 'real' lipstick pickup or just the usual Tele rhythm pickup?

If it's a stock Tele pickup, just take the pickup out of the guitar and turn it upside down.

You will find three prongs holding the cover onto the bottom of the pickup.

Bend the prongs down onto the bottom of the pickup so the pickup is held tighter in the cover, and reinstall.

If you have a plastic bobbin, you may have problems, as trying to pot these pickups would melt the bobbin.

ken
          www.angeltone.com

Comment

thanks guys, this should be enough info for me to conquer the squeel!

Comment

If it still squeals, you can pull the cover off and stick a couple small dabs of silicone on top of the pickup and then reinstall the cover. Works like a charm and doesn't screw anything up on the pickup.

greg

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                If you have a plastic bobbin, you may have problems, as trying to pot these pickups would melt the bobbin.
                I pot plastic humbucker bobbins all the time. It's not hot enough to melt the plastic (shouldn't be anyway, unless you want to start a fire).
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                X