Powder coated chassis and grounding.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder coated chassis and grounding.

I bought a Hammond 20 gauge chassis that powdercoated both inside and out.Is it nessesary to remove the coating for grounds or is the chassis thickness enough to get a good ground.......Thanks

My guess is it needs to ground down abit, also I'm gonna stick a SB-84 powerscaling module in, what about heatsinking through the coating ?? This module has 2-seperate mosfet/regulators which I assume would make it more efficient, not sure.

Either locally remove the powder coat or use star washers that can bite through the powder coat. Personally, id locally remove the powder coat.

Im not familiar with that power scaling module. So I can't comment on it.
    -Mike

Comment

Thanks defaced, I'll handle it that way.

Comment

Ok, got an opportunity to look at the power scaling kit. Being able to use the chassis as a heat sink directly will depend on what devices they're using for the power scaling and what packages they are in. For example, some tabs of high voltage MOSFETs sit at the source voltage potential - or to put it into tube terms, plate voltage. Connecting ~200-300v to ground would be bad (obviously). I seem to recall people talking about using isolation washers and other things to isolate the tab from the chassis, but I have no experience doing it. You might want to flip through the Mouser catalog (or download it from their site) and see if there's something in there for this application, or do some more digging online, or maybe someone else will chime in who has direct experience with this sort of stuff.
        -Mike

Comment

They use a teflon-type washer, I forget the name, I don't want the coating blocking the heat transfer to the chassis.I'll ask Kevin O'conner when I place the order.Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
          X