Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey Bandit 65 - Sounds awful - looking for some help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Bandit 65 - Sounds awful - looking for some help!

Hello All,

First off , thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. I purchased a bandit 65 about a week ago at a fair price ($50). As the amp didn't come with a foot switch I had NOT had a chance to use the clean channel until today.. when I found this problem. When I have the clean channel on 4 or higher I noticed a really bad farty (no other way to describe it) like distortion when I laid into it. Almost like speaker distortion. I immediately hooked up to another 12" - 8ohm speaker to see if that was the issue.. and no.. .still the same. Speaker is good. I then went back to the gain channel.. and it was doing the same thing.. but less obvious as I was using more gain which would cover up the issue. I was under the impression that these amps usually have good volume and some decent clean headroom.

Any advice on where to start would be great. I have done some minor work on tube amps... but solid state is something I have never attempted and could use some guidance. Seeing as the amp is probably almost 30 years old, I changed out the 2 main filter caps (2200uf@50volts.). I did it more then anything as habit. I am so use to switching out the filter caps on old tube amps, I figured for the $2 I spent , it wouldn't hurt (though I do not suspect this is this issue).

Below you should find a couple of attachments to a schematic and layout in the event this helps anyone in leading me into the right direction.

Again , thanks again in advance for any assistance!

Cheers!

Tim
    Attached Files

It may be the fact that the power amp in jack is corrupt.
    Run a guitar cord from pre out to power amp in.
    This will jumper out the normally closed contact in the jack.
    If that does not help with the bad signal, try to narrow it down to a preamp or power amp issue.
    Send the preamp out signal to another amp.
    It should sound correct. If not, the problem is in the preamp.
    If that is o/k, plug your guitar into the power amp in.
    This configuration should sound correct.
    If not, then the problem is in the power amp section of the amplifier.
    One of these three suggestions should see a chamge

Comment

Clean the pwr amp in jack first and see if that takes care of it. If not, verify the op amp supply (+/-15vdc) is there and both rails near 15v. Its possible theres a failing op amp in there too. Shouldn't be hard to find.
      The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Working...
      X