Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vox AC30/TB lookin for a date of manufacture.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox AC30/TB lookin for a date of manufacture.

I bought this amp in 87, the bloke i bought it from said it was a 70's.
    it says JMI on the top plate light blue. 6 vents on the top, blue speakers.
    see pics.

see pics
    Attached Files

Comment

Wow, that's a classic. But it will need a thorough service by a tech, some parts will have drifted or otherwise bad.
      The electrolytic caps are the best place to look for date codes (particularly the one by the power tubes - slide the amp out of the cab), pots don't tend to have them, as I remember.
      There's a Vox book which will have info for the serial # on the plate, best to get that if you want to get super nerdy.
      The large vents indicate a later JMI build, I think a different contractor was used by the late 60s, so I'd guess mid 60s.
      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

the grey panel AC30s were the first to have the top boost circuit integrated into the panel some time in '67. the blue speakers would indicate a slightly earlier amp as I thought they changed to the silver chassis alnicos around the same time as the grey panels - the speakers may not be original to the amp OR they might have been a set of speakers that were somehow overlooked and ended up in this amp a couple of years down the line (anything is possible for amps built during the 60s music boom). the speakers themselves should have date codes on the gasket - that would give you an idea.

I'd put this one as a '67/68
        HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

Working...
        X