Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Macinist Programmer wanted (by Taylor Guitars)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macinist Programmer wanted (by Taylor Guitars)

A sign of our times: Machinist Programmer (2-3 positions available) Job in El Cajon 92020, California US

I saw this mentioned on a machining newsgroup, and thought people might be interested.

"Salary
    $18.​00 - $25.​00 /​year"

hmmm... undergrad degree doesn't get you much these days

Comment

I'm a 'machinist programmer' myself.

Convince him to move operations to Wisconsin, and I might be up for it...

maybe.

FYI - Nonunion CNC machinists who can program multiple machines make lots more than $18-25 per if they are any good, even in central WI. If that's all they get in CA with the cost of living they have, how can they afford to eat?

ken
      www.angeltone.com

Comment

I garuntee you they are looking for a CNC operator who can maybe generate a toolpath in mastercam. It's a job that doesnt require any education and has a burn out rate of maybe 3 years. That's *really* good money for the job in the guitar industry.. More than I would be willing to pay. My CNC operators are usually $10-12/h start and $15 if they can generate a tool path. I'm also in CA. My guys are great workers and love what they do.

It's not a question of how can they afford to eat, but how can the manufacturers stay in business. We can't pay $40 / hour and compete with Mexico and China. They are usually young (20-30) and they obtain experience and skill on the job.

Now if they were looking for a tool and die maker, that is a complete different story - that is worth that kind of money, but for CNC operating?

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
          My CNC operators are usually $10-12/h start and $15 if they can generate a tool path. I'm also in CA. My guys are great workers and love what they do. ... They are usually young (20-30) and they obtain experience and skill on the job.
          I would doubt that Taylor is paying twice the local wage scale for machinist programmers.

Instead, I would guess that "Salary $18.​00 - $25.​00 /​year" is what one gets for a full-time year, in thousands of dollars. In round numbers, there are 2000 working hours per year, so $10 to $12 per hour translates to $20K to $24K per year, which is consistent with the advertised salary range.

Comment

They pull their machine operators from the genital population, so these jobs are likely to be in the prototype and tooling dept, which would be a heck of a good time. They use Mastercam, Solidworks and Fadals to make some extremely cool stuff! The people are cool as well. The guitar industry may not pay as much as some others, but thats the starting pay and the benefits are great. They are generous with raises if you are good. Overall it's an extremely cool place to work. The people are great too.
            Last edited by sunburst kid; 11-27-2010, 10:17 AM.

Comment

...They use Mastercam, Solidworks....
              what a pity..... i know rhino and visualmill.... but.... could they employ me as commuter??
              Last edited by -Elepro-; 11-27-2010, 06:43 PM.
              .......my gaussmeter project..... ........
              .......first pickup with my cnc winder........

.... NEW cnc pickup winder user manual.....

Comment

"the genital population"?

Whew! That's everybody, isn't it? I mean, we all have genitals, don't we? Well, most of us...

My experienced luthiers...not CNC operators or programmers...make more than that, and at Taylor, you'd better be a luthier if you're going to program Bob's CNC machines.

Up here in Northern Cal, good independent programmers are in the $75.00 to $85.00 an hour range.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Turner View Post

Whew! That's everybody, isn't it? I mean, we all have genitals, don't we? Well, most of us...

My experienced luthiers...not CNC operators or programmers...make more than that, and at Taylor, you'd better be a luthier if you're going to program Bob's CNC machines.

Up here in Northern Cal, good independent programmers are in the $75.00 to $85.00 an hour range.
                  Maybe that's an entry get started and get your feet in the door type job.
                  Probably some sawdust sweeping and shoveling required.
                  Terry
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

I have shoveled more sawdust than most , Where's my CEO job ?
                    No wait!!!! i guess I'm CEO of my pickup business .............When the wife is shopping
                    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Turner View Post

That took balls to say! (sorry couldn't resist!)

I make more than that doing freelance graphics!
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

You don't need to be a luthier. In reality it woud be a hinderance they want fresh, uncorrupted minds. Most of the folks there who have the good jobs in the development areas, have worked their way up off the shop floor and may or may not have prior experience with guitars. I know a number of guys there who built guitars prior or went to luthier school who are factory workers and always will be. It's more about raw talent, attitude and personality.

Comment

Working...
                        X