B52 Stealth 60W head reverb tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B52 Stealth 60W head reverb tank

Hi. My reverb tank died a long time ago. A friend took it to see if it was compatible with one a friend of his had extra and lost it. I called B52 to get a replacement but they want $60! Does anyone know how I could get the specs for it to get a suitable replacement? I have a schematic, but it doesn't give an impedance and all. That price seems a little steep to me and I'm just looking to save some money.

thanks,

So post or link the schematic. We can probably tell in a moment what it needs.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Sure, here is the schematic:

http://paws.wcu.edu/avoelker/b52_st60a.pdf

thanks,

Comment

Unfortunately the schem doesn't spec or allude to the impedance of the reverb tranny or tank and I was unable to find the info on line. Unless someone with a shop can get the info or someone who knows the info sees this post I'd say they have you by the short hairs. From what I've read the reverb circuit in these amps is absolute garbage and can be expected to fail. Some guys even disconnect it when they buy the amp to avoid the problem. I read many posts where b52 owners had either the tank or transformer fail. I also read that even when it's working the reverb in these amps is poor in tone. The reverb seems to be an especially weak spot for these amps. That said I would not buy the B52 replacement parts. What would be the point when once you do find the correct info for replacement you can buy a superior Accutronics/Beldon tank for less. Sorry I couldn't find the correct spec for you. Maybe call the MFG. They may tell you. You don't get anything if you don't ask.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

The schematic speaks to me pretty clearly. The reverb pan is driven by a transformer, and that implies a low-Z input pan, so depending upon size you want, the pan should be a 4/8/9AB2C1B

And for comparison, this circuit is identical to the AT-100 which specifies an AB2C1B pan and 8 ohm drive. I have to doubt B-52 has more than one drive transformer.

The problems I have encountered on my admittedly limited exposure to B-52 product, is the copper art on the boards is too close, and arcs for to the B+ pin of the reverb drive transformer. This is not the transformer's fault, it just happens the point it is soldered to is too close to something else.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
          X