Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100W AB763 (4 x 6L6GC) to ~40w (4 x 6V6 GT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100W AB763 (4 x 6L6GC) to ~40w (4 x 6V6 GT)

I'm in the midst of finishing the first found of modifications to a Fender clone that I built from the ground up and am finding that it's more powerful that I could have imagined, so I want to scale down the output a bit and enjoy the creamier distortion of the 6V6-GT.

The Hammond PT is laying down about 440V at the plates of the 6L6s and she's drawing about 35 mA of idle current. The PT is about 20v or so short of standard Twin Reverb specs. I'm running a 4 Ohm Hammond output tranny, as well.

I'm thinking I can keep the 100w PT and change the OT to a 40w unit and adjust the screen, plate, and idle supply accordingly, so I can use 6V6s. Are there any obvious flaws in my logic? I have sourced some 6V6-GTs that can handle upwards of 450pV all day long, so maybe I'd just have to mind the screens/idle current.

Thanks for reading.

Best,

~F
    ~F
    "Ruining good moments since 1975"

There is no need to change the OT, or screen/plate voltage, JJ or EH 6V6s will handle your voltages OK bias to 20-22mA.

You might also consider wiring your 2x 8ohm speakers in series (16ohm total load) and running only 2 6V6s for 20-25W.

If you still need to cut headroom try a 12AX7 in the PI position.

Comment

MWJB - thanks so much. It's a head and I haven't even gotten the speaker cab sorted out yet.
      ~F
      "Ruining good moments since 1975"

Comment

Working...
      X