Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing 2 pwr tubes in a 4 tube amp

Say,
    I dare say this controversy has come up before, but I'm still a little unclear on how this works. I've drawn it out & still can't come up with the answer.

When you removed 2 power tubes on a 4 tube output stage & just use 2...which way do you move the impedance selector on the OT?

I understand that with 2 tubes loading the OT instead of the 4, you are now mismatched upwards by a factor of 2 (tubes are presenting 2wice as much impedance to the OT as with 4). Does this mean you have to DROP the output matching to try & compensate...IOW, with 8ohm speaker, now set the impedance selector to 4?

I know there have been other threads on here about this, but I can't figure a good keyword to find them.

I'm confused. thanx, g.

Yes, the speaker load is what changes the primary impedance.
    The tranny is really only transforming the load...
    If the four power tubes (you didn't say which kind) were looking for a 4Kohm primary, the OT has taps for 2, 4 and 8 ohms, and you have an 8 ohm speaker load now, then only two power tubes with the same OT would like to see 8Kohms and you would run the 8 ohm load on the 4 ohm tap now so the primary impedance would be doubled.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

thanx Bruce,
      That's were my logic led me. g

Comment

This is true however, usually the main reason for pulling two tubes is to attenuate the amp which you only get -3dB at the very most and now switching to 4 ohms makes it louder so you've almost achieved nothing by pulling the two tubes.
        KB

Comment

earlier breakup

HMMM,
          I thought the whole idea was that only 2 pwr tubes would break up at lower volumes than what you'd get with 4...Hey, whatta I know...I'm just a bass player living in a guitarist's world! g

Comment

Working...
          X