Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Actual Output Wattage of a Pignose 7-100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actual Output Wattage of a Pignose 7-100?

They're advertised as putting out 5 (SS) watts. That seems a bit inflated. At first I figured maybe about 3 watts maximum but I somehow suspect that in reality (as well as practical terms) it's probably more around 1.5 usable watts or so.

Has anyone ever (or actually) measured it? Some of the smaller boutique 1/2 watt tube amplifiers seem to be about the same volume level (or slightly more) when combined with identical speakers, (in this case an 8" Weber Alnico Blue Pup).

All other things equal, the difference in loudness between 5w and 10w is only 3 decibels. Or for that matter between 5w and 2.5w. The difference between 5w and 1.25w would be 6db. And continuing that formula, a 1/2 w amp would be half as loud as a 5w one.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The output wattage of an amplifer is determined by the equation: (VxV)/R.
      Where V is the RMS AC voltage measured at the load (the speaker).
      R is the load.
      A good Digital Multi Meter can be used to measure the maximum voltage of the amplifier. (in a crude way)
      Square the voltage & divide it by the resistance of the load.
      Please be aware that the way I described it is not particular.
      It is best to measure the clean output.
      Ideally you would use a synewave generator, a dummy load & an oscilloscope.

Comment

Haven't actually measured one, but it looks (and sounds) around 1W RMS.
        Even 2 W looks too much for it.
        Definitely *not* 5W.
        I'll measure and post the next one which "visits" my bench.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I suspect that the 'clean' output is about 1/4 watt while the 'dirty' (or overdriven output is roughly 1 watt.

Just a hunch.

Comment

Working...
          X