No announcement yet.

Anyone Ever Build a 1/2-2W Gilmore Jr.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Ever Build a 1/2-2W Gilmore Jr.?

Just curious as to how it sounds + its overall versatility (variety of tonality).

Is the Gilmore Jr.'s 6n1p output tube a practical one in terms of overall availability (both present & future)?

Reason for asking...also considering a pre-built Emery Microbaby (costs twice as much) but willing to build/assemble if the Gilmore is worth pursuing.

I think the Gilmore Jr. has an SS rectifier as there are diodes but no rectifier tube (just a pre-amp & power). The Emery has three (pre-amp/power/rectifier).

Pros/cons on SS vs tube rectifiers?

Thanks!

I built the Gillmore JR several years ago when I first got into amp building... The amp is a high gain amp with no clean headroom. I tried several mods and tweaks but in the end I parted it out and used the transformers in a 18 watt build. IMHO if you want to build a first amp kit, go with a 5F1 or 5F2A. They are more usable (for me). As far as SS vs tube rectifiers goes the Gillmore Jr PT outputs about 330VDC unloaded. The Gillmore JR, does not really put much of a load on it and the voltage does not drop much.. I would leave it as SS. A tube recitifer will not change the sound that much on that amp.

Comment

I don't have any experience with the Gilmore Jr specifically, but I would tend to favour a push-pull output. My own self split amp is set up to take 12AT7, 12AU7, 12BH7, 6SN7 power tubes, it can take a tube or SS rectifier, but I don't think that a SS rectifier is in any way a deal breaker, difference is perceptible in A/B testing, but not "dramatic".

Perhaps talk to the maker of the Gilmore & see what options you have on the power tube? You may get some flexibility depending on the speaker load & reflected impedance of the OT. The 6N1P will work fine with a typical 6V6/EL84 PP output transformer (8K primary), but wiring for a regular 12A#7 twin triode & doubling the speaker load will give a 16K primary, fine for 12AU7, 12BH7, even 12AT7 at a push. I don't know if I would wire for a 6N1P as the heaters are slightly different, thus not as flexible as if wiring for 12A#7.

That said, a good 5F2A is a killer amp! As to which is preferable really comes down to how well they are executed.

Comment

I have Gilmore Jr that I completed as my first amp build, maybe three years ago.

1st: I really enjoyed the building experience. Rich Guy sells the kits and his customer support is second to none. In fact, he will not permit you to buy a kit and not end up with a functioning amp and he will support you through emails, via phone or both. During my build, we exchanged several phone calls and I really can't say enough good things about Rich and I know he isn't getting rich selling amp kits.

2nd thing... The parts in the kit are absolutely first class, as is the chassis. The kit arrives ready to assemble, with a well thought out instruction book, that will help educate you about amp building, tubes, etc. Build time is anywhere from a few hours for an experienced guy, to four or five evenings if you're a novice/perfectionist like me.

3rd: The amp sounds great. It isn't what I'd call versatile but it will show you exactly what your guitar, cables and tubes are delivering and it takes pedals very well. I run my G. Jr through a 12", 15 watt, 16 ohm, Weber alnico Blue, mounted in an open back cab and it's plenty loud for home or garage use. If you want more clean headroom, you'll need the ECC-99 power tube and even then, headroom is limited. I'm thinking now that I want to try it with 2X10s but thats simply about learning a little more about amps and sound. It sounds pretty fine through the Weber 12" and it is getting better as the speaker ages.

My only issue with the Gilmore kit is the $315.00 cost. I added the "Vox Mod", the 2 watt parts and the attenuator for an additional $115.00 or so and with shipping you're looking at about $425 before you think about a case, cab or speaker. My speaker cost me $200 so you can see where I'm coming from but in reality, the kit is competitively priced and I'll be able to use the speaker forever.

There are several viable alternatives in the marketplace but in it's price range you could do a lot worse and I'm not in a hurry to sell mine or part it out.

PS: Tubes are no problem and my Rock Block uses the same ECC-99.

Last edited by BeemerBoy; 08-06-2011, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Ha ha, when building tiny amps you quickly get well into the laws of diminishing returns Dollar/Watt-wise! :-)

Just because the amp is lower powered doesn't mean that your are going to halve build costs, you still have the same amount of parts as a small SE amp (& a more expensive OT usually), at least. The Gilmore Kit is still good value for money...I used top line parts for my 0.2 to 0.5W amp, parts alone ran to ~£650GBP, or £1300+ ($2000USD) per Watt, plus build time! :-o

But that's not the motivation for building it, it's something that will never outlive its usefulness - apartment practice during the ad breaks whilst watching TV, line out into a PA if required, etc. - If there was a fire, or I was burgled, this would be the first amp I'd replace...if I had to have just one amp, this would be it...or my 2x6SN7/6SL7 powered amp, partly because it will potentially make more power if required & partly because you have more scope with OTs when you can effectively halve the primary Z required. But again, still the same amount of parts as a Champ/5E3 depending on whether you want a PI...& still a worse Dollar/Watt ratio. Thankfully this is outwieghed by the grins/hour ratio! :-)

I notice too the Mojotone now sell a 2W combo amp kit, details are sparse & no experience, but it might be interesting?
          Last edited by MWJB; 08-06-2011, 07:34 PM.

Comment

I agree with you 100%!

I've been looking at building another amp. I want something a little more powerful this time and Dave Hunter's Two Stroke is looking pretty good. I know that the amp can be configured too make 18 watts if necessary and I hear that the design sounds great.

You're right... This isn't about the $$ spent. It's all about the the pursuit of knowledge and understanding of tiny little things that we cant see, balanced against the possibility of electrocution. I see the prices that you folks pay for US manufactured guitars and it's frightening. I also think it's unfair but either way, this is a better hobby than my old one. (Drinking beer and racing my motorcycle in the streets.) and in the end it's cheaper. Is that a win/win or am I getting old?

If my house caught fire, I grab my EJ Strat in one hand and both the Gilmore Jr and the Rock Block in the other. Theres an advantage to having these little amps!
            Last edited by BeemerBoy; 08-06-2011, 11:59 PM.

Comment

To the OP:

What about a $215, 5 watter? With clean and overdriven tones and is a simple build from a kit with terriffic illustrated instructions. The amp sounds excellent through a 10" speaker. I think $215 is a great price for a versatile small prcatice amp, it would be great for bedroom or dorm or an apartment.

With video sound clip:
              Kit Review: MOD 102 DIY Guitar Amplifier Kit | GuitarKitBuilder.com

Just my 2 cents worth...
              DIY Links

Tolex Tutorial
              http://www.guitarkitbuilder.com/cont...lifier-cabinet

Chassis:
              http://www.guitarkitbuilder.com/cont...lifier-chassis

Turret board:
              http://www.guitarkitbuilder.com/cont...d-construction

Comment

Yeah, thats looks like an interesting little amp...

My only reservation about building one from that kit, would be the supplied chassis. I'd be willing to pay somewhat more for that kit, if it came with or included the option of adding a cab mountable chassis, similar to the one that the reviewer used.

I've learned the hard way... Unless and amp can be easily mounted in a head cab or combo, it sacrifices most of its utility. And for student use you absolutely must be able to haul the amp around, while carrying your guitar case in the other hand.

Maybe a good solution would be to build that amp into an old lunch box and use a plug-in AC cord! Hmmmm....

Comment

Just simply spend $14.65 for a Hammond 1444-18 chassis, it's 13.5" x 5" x 2" whici is essentially what I used (but home folded). I agree, an amp's not much good if it's not easily portable. The Gillmore is in an exposed chassis too, I think a head cabinet would be a good idea. (I am going to use the supplied chassis (10x6x2) it to combine several effects pedals in one chassis).

Both kits require a speaker and a cabinet, so a combo seemed the way to go. Much quieter and better tones than a tweed Champ or Princeton in my opinion. It's a very simple build, and is a great starting place for a beginner.
                  DIY Links

Tolex Tutorial

Chassis:

Turret board:

Comment

Originally posted by Casey4s View Post
                    Just simply spend $14.65 for a Hammond 1444-18 chassis, it's 13.5" x 5" x 2" whici is essentially what I used (but home folded). I agree, an amp's not much good if it's not easily portable. The Gillmore is in an exposed chassis too, I think a head cabinet would be a good idea. (I am going to use the supplied chassis (10x6x2) it to combine several effects pedals in one chassis).

Both kits require a speaker and a cabinet, so a combo seemed the way to go. Much quieter and better tones than a tweed Champ or Princeton in my opinion. It's a very simple build, and is a great starting place for a beginner.
                    You're absolutely right and thats why I'm clearing space on my work bench to build a head cab for the Gilmore Jr but it does take some experience to get these things absolutely right and thats part of what simple kits are for.

I just checked out the cab building video and it was great! When I built the G.Jr I bought a used 1/12 combo cab and installed a 12" Weber. My current plan is to build a matching head and speaker cab set for the Gilmore. Then I can simply build new a new head cab when I build my next amp.

That little amp is "quieter and better tones than a tweed Champ or Princeton"? If thats the case, I may have to try one. I've had a good case of 'Champ GAS' lately but the prices are killin me and I'm also looking at building a Baby Bluesbreaker. With the Rock Block in the house, I have a lot of kool, useful, sounds covered.

Comment

Originally posted by BeemerBoy View Post
                      You're absolutely right and thats why I'm clearing space on my work bench to build a head cab for the Gilmore Jr but it does take some experience to get these things absolutely right and thats part of what simple kits are for.

I just checked out the cab building video and it was great! When I built the G.Jr I bought a used 1/12 combo cab and installed a 12" Weber. My current plan is to build a matching head and speaker cab set for the Gilmore. Then I can simply build new a new head cab when I build my next amp.

That little amp is "quieter and better tones than a tweed Champ or Princeton"? If thats the case, I may have to try one. I've had a good case of 'Champ GAS' lately but the prices are killin me and I'm also looking at building a Baby Bluesbreaker. With the Rock Block in the house, I have a lot of kool, useful, sounds covered.

Didn't you watch the video? I think the video sound clip says a lot.

Here's a few tips on making a head cabinet btw:
                      http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/f...ead%20Cabinet/

There is a Tolex Tutorial in my signature too.
                      DIY Links

Tolex Tutorial

Chassis:

Turret board:

Comment

Yeah, I saw the vid even before I knew what amp it was but considering the audio quality, it's still something of a pig in a poke.

I like it though...

Comment

"What about a $215, 5 watter? With clean and overdriven tones and is a simple build from a kit with terriffic illustrated instructions. The amp sounds excellent through a 10" speaker. I think $215 is a great price for a versatile small prcatice amp, it would be great for bedroom or dorm or an apartment."

5 Watts typically puts it out of the ball park for reasonable volume apartment/bedroom/dorm use, unless heavily attenuated.

Comment

Originally posted by MWJB View Post
                            SNIP...
                            5 Watts typically puts it out of the ball park for reasonable volume apartment/bedroom/dorm use, unless heavily attenuated.
                            Yeah... I kinda wanted to point that out myself.

My Gilmore Jr at 1/2 watt is 25% as loud as a 50 watt amp and as loud as most home players will ever need. With the 2 watt tube installed, it's 2 watts it's 38% as lout as a 50 watt amp.

Jump to 5 watts and now we're getting into instant lease-breaking territory. 5 watts is 50% as loud as 50 watts! You can easily gig with 5 watts and if you want to to play at home late at night, you'll need an attenuator.

Give it power scaling and it'll sell like hot cakes at the fair!

Comment

Working...
                            X