Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sound clips of my new amp build. Thanks forum!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound clips of my new amp build. Thanks forum!

Have to thank everyone on the forum for answering my stupid questions in the past. Also just the wealth of knowledge archived here is amazing.

Here it is, it's called the Hellfire.

It's for sure a high gain amp. No cleans on this bad boy. 100 watts, switchable to 50. Quad bias controls. Ability to use many different types of power amp tubes. Sounds best with 6L6's IMO. The power amp itself is pretty standard, a did throw a few of my own values in some spots. PI is based around a 12AT7 instead of 12AX7. Depth and Presence controls. Noise cut feature(pretty much a copy of Peaveys way of doing it), it's cheap but it works. FX loop is solid state, tried to keep the tube count down. Having the amp on standby doesn't kill the preamp, so you can do some silent recording without having to have a cab plugged in for a load. The preamp itself has 2 separate paths. The first path is very much like the high gain circuit of an XTC, but I added a little more gain. The other path is a design completely of my own, lots of mid and low end gain. It's for sure more of a modern tone(5150/SLO/Recto). The 2 gain paths are blendable together. So it's kind of a 2 channel amp, but not really. Also, I have implemented a mid sweep control that goes from the bass region all the way into the high end. Works really well.

Here are the clips. The first 2 are with EL34's, the last is 6L6. You really have to hear this amp in person, as my mic placement doesn't do the amp justice.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2033066/Hellfire_Final_Rose.mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2033066/HellfireGain1.mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2033066/Hellfire6L6.mp3

Oh yeah, that's "Hellfire" all right.

Can you tell us a bit about how you recorded it, where did the bass and drums come from, etc.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Sounds quite good to me.
      Don't know if you did up a schematic, but I'd be interested in seeing that.

Comment

I missed the build thread, but I like the idea of leaving the preamp active on standby for recording. How does the direct out sound?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
          Oh yeah, that's "Hellfire" all right.

Can you tell us a bit about how you recorded it, where did the bass and drums come from, etc.
          Can't tell you much about the backing tracks, only that they were posted on the Andy Sneap forums by some members. The guitar tracks are all just DI tracks reamped through the Hellfire.

Cab used was a Bogner Uberkab, with a MD421 and SM57 on one of the V30's. No post processing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by thehoj View Post
            Sounds quite good to me.
            Don't know if you did up a schematic, but I'd be interested in seeing that.
            Can't post a schematic, but you are more than welcome to buy one and you can draw up your own schematic if you'd like :-)

In all honesty I have no problem posting the schematic, but I'd like to wait a little while, like after I get proper photos, clips, and a website done.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsonman63 View Post
              I missed the build thread, but I like the idea of leaving the preamp active on standby for recording. How does the direct out sound?
              I never had a build thread on this forum, just a bunch of posts asking random questions. Got a lot of great ideas from here, and a lot of bad ones that looked good on paper but when implemented didn't work out.

Yeah the preamp being active and the power section muted is a great thing, especially for bedroom players that like to record. The line out is simply the FX send, and can be set to -10 or +4. Works out great.

Comment

New clip. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2033066/test2.mp3

Website should be up and running in the next week- wolfeamplification.com

Comment

Working...
                X