Burning resistor on my Road 220

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning resistor on my Road 220

I have a road 220 100 watt bass amp, and resistor #22 keeps catching fire!
    Is there a way to figure out what the heck is making it do that? I don't want to blow another one, and I really want to fix this amp.
    I have this funny feeling that tells me I am in over my head, but I really want to know if I can just replace a couple of transistors or if the situation is worse, and if there is even a way to tell. Forgive me for being an amateur.

Get out your meter and start checking transistors.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Forgive my noobness, but do I pull them off and check them or does it work while they are soldered to the board? What exactly am I looking for?

Comment

You are looking for transistors or diodes that are shorted mainly, but also ones that are open. Test the parts while they are in the amp first. If you find a shorted one in the circuit, then remove it and test it by itself. it is possible the part is OK and something around it is shorted. If it tests not shorted in circuit, then it is not shorted. Nothing in the circuit can make a shorted part look not shorted. Opens are a little different, if the part seems open, it probably is.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thank you so much for the very informative information, Enzo.

Comment

Working...
          X