First Amp Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Amp Project

Hey there. I'm an ambitious guitar player that wants a Vox Ac30. Anyone wanna help me? I don't have a lot of money, so I figured that I would try and build one. I am a complete beginner and haven't a clue about amplification technology, other than tube and solid state, and other basics of the sort. If anyone knows where I can find a complete guide for beginners, whether it be online or in a book, please help me. Also, is it any more cost effective to do what I want to do? I am an unemployed 16 year old, so money is key

An AC30 is a very ambitious project for you're first build. If your only reason for building is to save money don't. Tube amps contain lethal voltages, and without knowledge of the circuits your building, if there is a problem you don't know where to start to correct it. They are not cheep to build also. If you love to build things and still want to try, read this forum. As for books there are many available. I started with my old college text books (they skipped over tubes when I was in school). For you're first project I would recommend something simple like a Champ Or an AC4.

Comment

As a rank noob I think an AC30 is a lot to bite off. Especially if $$$ is a factor since one reason those amps sound good is that they use a $500.00 pair of 12" speakers. I do think it's possible to build better than you can buy for less $$$ though and I encourage it. There are many simpler amps that you may find useful. Tell us about what you need an amp to do. Do you want to crank it at small gigs and band practice or do want something with more clean headroom that you'll use distortion pedals with? Do you want an effects loop? Reverb? What is your max budget? Do you have access to any tools, soldering tools, wood working tools and all the basic hand tools like drills files etc?

BTW you can almost count on spending a little more than you thought, so be prepared for that. There are some good "kit" options available too. Just to say it out loud, you can buy a tube amp for a few hundred dollars now. It'll be a mediocre disposable Chinese made turd though. But for around $750 you can get into a Peavey Classic 50 or a Fender Hot Rod series that are pretty good amps and probably the best value on the market. If money is your main motivator I'd say save up and buy the Peavey or the Fender. If your interested in the building aspect of this then you can build something better for less but it will take a lot of time. More than the amount of time you would spend delivering papers, washing cars or mowing lawns to earn the money to buy an amp. At least for your first amp build. It gets faster after that.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
      X