tele neck cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tele neck cover

where to buy most correct cover for 50-54 tele neck pickup clone pickups?

Originally posted by clown_luthier View Post
    where to buy most correct cover for 50-54 tele neck pickup clone pickups?
    I have seen 2 different styles: full skirt and tapered skirt. But I don't remember what came when! I'd be interested in knowing though. Anyone? Last time I bought a Duncan vintage tele rhythm pickup it came with a full skirt.

I get mine from Mojotone and the quality is very good. They don't show the tapered side in the pic (taper is on the wire lead side), but these are tapered:

Tele Pickup Covers

Comment

Stew Mac sells the full skirt covers , buy mine from Mojo as well ,Stew Mac is too pricey
      but would a 50-54 be bare nickel or chrome
      Mojo Pickup Parts » Mojotone Nickel Silver Tele Neck Pickup Cover Bare
      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

i need something more close to vintage covers, stewmac are good but have that part cut on side where eyelets are.
        picture is bad, but i hope i can show you with this sheptone pickup what kind of cover i need:

Comment

this seymour duncan pickup can also show how full skirt i want it to be

Comment

I've honestly never given that any thought - I've only ever seen the full skirt covers for sale. Do you find it makes a tonal difference, or is it just for the authentic look? (that wasn't a quip, just a serious question)

Comment

yes i think there is only authentic look difference, and btw this are full skirt covers, the only one full skirt
              all parts look like this, with this cut

Comment

Originally posted by clown_luthier View Post
                yes i think there is only authentic look difference, and btw this are full skirt covers, the only one full skirt
                all parts look like this, with this cut

Those look good.
                Maybe you can get some info on how to antique them.
                I made a guy a neck mini Humbucker for a Luna guitar.
                All the hardware had a matt finish.
                The only mini cover I could come up with was a chromed nickel cover from Mojo.
                I ended up taking some Scotch brite for pots and pans, and I buffed it.
                It looked fine, and the guy was happy.
                It sounded good enough that he wouldn't part with it now.
                Good Luck,
                Terry
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

thanx, but it is not problem in aging covers, i'm having problems finding correct looking covers

Comment

Hey CL-
                    Looking at the pic you posted, and yes, that's just like the duncan I have. I agree with you, it would be nice to find a source for these.

Have you checked common places like Guitar Jones, Guitar Parts USA, RS Guitarworks, Angela Instruments? Also, maybe drop an email over to Mojotone and just ask if they have them. I have always found the people there very helpful.

Interesting side note... that duncan pickup, vintage T rhythm (purchased in 2007) has a DCR of 8.1k and sounded very muddy. When I pulled the cover off I found it wrapped in a heavy layer of paraffin that was precisely cut to the width of the bobbin and wrapped over the coil. The pickup was not "potted" per se, just wrapped!! The coil was not permeated with anything!! There was a layer of heavy, clear plastic tape between the 43g PE coil and the paraffin wrap. I never went back to listen to the pickup without all that paraffin, but I bet it would be much better!

Anyway, CL let us know if you find a source for the covers.

CB
                    Last edited by Corona Blue; 12-21-2010, 04:16 PM.

Comment

I know this thread is looking for the vintage cover.
                      Could you take a minute and share with us the best way to antique a chrome or nickel cover.
                      I sure like the look that the Seymour Antiquities have.
                      Thanks in advance!
                      Terry
                      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                      Terry

Comment

Hey Terry-
                        T neck covers are easy... the nickle/chrome is fairly thin. Use some red scotchbrite to patina the high contact areas especially in the lower corner on the high e string side... I take it down to where the copper plating layer starts to show up on that corner. Then fold a piece of 220 grit sandpaper and use just the folded crease to scratch in wear between the string areas. You can use different grits with this too and then even out with some tan or green scotchbrite. If your T has the truss adjuster at the heel of the neck, then put a screwdriver in the adjusting screw and mark up the point where the screwdriver would contact the front of the cover. Fairly easy to make it look convincingly "played in." Just take it slow and use a player's sense of where the contact points are.

CB

Comment

hey CB i see you know a lot of stuff
                          i'm totaly sure nobody can get me this corect looking covers, i think i will have to try making them myself or pay for stamping tool...

Comment

thanks CB.
                            I don't know much about the antique look.
                            So you want the scratched wear marks between the strings and not under the strings?
                            Got it.
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

I know a few tricks, but I'm careful about saying that I know "a lot!" HA!! I don't mind sharing the few things I do know how to do well. But there are many here who have forgotten more than I'll ever know.

Comment

Working...
                              X