Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Pot Question

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for checking in on my post. So basically, I had a broken solder joint on my amp's first input. I decided to take care of it myself, but I think I may have really screwed myself a bit. In the easy part of the process, I didn't loosen one of the knob's screws enough and I pulled the shaft of the pot up out of where it should be so it is extended out with the skinnier inner part of the shaft showing. Now the pot spins without stopping, doesn't want to settle back in to position and it no longer effects the signal. Did I break the pot? Or can I fix this pot somehow without having to replace it? I apologize for the simplicity of this, and thanks again for helping out.

You MIGHT be able to fix the pot. Remove it and disassemble it and find out. But having suffered that sort of damage, I;d just get a new one and replace it.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Alright, I'm thinking that's probably best after looking at it a bit more. Do you know the best/cheapest place to buy pots? Online or otherwise? Thanks for the reply Enzo. I appreciate it.

Comment

You can probably get what you need either from Antique Electronics Supply or Mouser, depending on the make and model of your amp. But both of those places have a variety of PCB and panel mount pots.
        -Erik
        Euthymia Electronics
        Alameda, CA USA
        Sanborn Farallon Amplifier

Comment

If you provide the make and model of the amp and a picture of the pot I am certain that someone can give you an accurate part number so you get just what you need.

Having said that, be certain that you feel conmfortable removing the old pot and replacing it. You may compound the damage already done.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys. I found what I needed at Antique Electronics Supply, so thanks for the recommendation Euthymia. I'm pretty comfortable with replacing the pot...I was just hurrying when I broke it in the first place, which was stupid. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
            X