Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can any Orange pro tell me if I can get this sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can any Orange pro tell me if I can get this sound?

Hello!

Ive finally saved $4000 towards a good stack for touring. Ive heard endless praise about Orange amps, but Ive only personally played a Tiny Terror. So this is my question:

Can I get these sounds out of an Orange amp, and if so, which one?

1) YouTube - You Me At Six -My Head Is A Prison And Nobody Visits

2) YouTube - "Trophy Eyes" by You Me At Six (Track 11 of 12 - Hold Me Down)

3) YouTube - "The Consequence" by You Me At Six (Track 1 of 12 - Hold Me Down)

There is 2 guitars in these songs, obviously. Ive tried to do some research into the band and I *think* one guitarist uses a Marshall JCM800, and the other uses an Orange RV50 (50w or 100, I dont know).

So without an immense pedalboard of effects, can I get these distortions and tones out of an Orange amp? I know the Orange amps tend to sound very "vintage" and classic rock-ish .. which is great, but just not what Im looking for, since the band is more of an alternative rock kind of band.

Anyone who takes the time to check out the links and help me out is AMAZING! Thanks in advance!

-Drew

It sounds like your trying to make an Orange fit into your criteria for some reason. Maybe you've heard that's what your suppose to get?

With 4K you have a lot of choices. Learn the songs (if you haven't already) and then take your guitar to a couple of mega music stores and try some amps. Try some Orange amps. Try some Marshalls. Try 'em all.

Unless it's expressly stated there's no way to know what amp a song was recorded with. Even if you see the band live the amp on stage may not be it. It'll sound close because it's the same guy trying to get that sound from whatever he/she is playing through so you probably wouldn't question it or even notice a difference. Point is there's a bevy of amp out there that do "that" sound close enough that the player would be the only one who knows the difference. I wouldn't just buy what you've been led to believe or have been told is "correct". Some guys use a more classic rock type tone and step on a box for uber gain. Some guys like the more modern amps with uber gain stuff built in.

It's your money and you should feel and hear what your spending it on and agree with yourself that it's right for you. If you blow your wad on something you haven't tried and approved, but you thought you should get for some arbitrary reason, you won't be exploring your art as a guitar player and you won't have the dough anymore to get something you love. Maybe you'll love the Orange. I don't know.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

A few years ago Spindoctors did a re-union tour. I love Eric Schenkmans guitar playing and style. He was playing an SG Classic for that tour which sounded pretty good.
      Those guitars were just discontinued but I managed to find one and bought it for a large sum.

About a year down the line I didn’t really play that guitar so much anymore, Still sounds great just not really me, I went back to playing my les Paul allot more.
      Also Eric had also switched to playing a flying V guitar.
      In hindsight I should probably have bought a US Strat or something more flexible for my different playing styles.

The point is Eric still sounds like Eric with any of the many guitars he owns, and I still sound like me.

With that sort of money to spend just make sure the amp you get will keep you happy for a long time… or buy two amps.

I played an orange amp ( think it was a combo rocker 30) at a warehouse shop last year and didn’t like the clean channel with a distortion pedal (big muff) in front of it.
      Take your guitar and some of your favourite pedals to try with the amp before you buy it.

Comment

+1 on what Chuck etc. said. Youtube process the hell out of the audio anyway, which makes it pretty much useless for critical listening. I'm not about to go out and buy the album to hear it uncompressed.

The Orange amps you can buy just now are new designs, different to the 1970s ones that are associated with stoner rock, sludge, doom etc. The new ones are arguably better sounding and more practical.

Remember that when you read in the press that a musician uses some piece of gear, that fact has been publicised because of a sponsorship deal. In order to get their money/free kit they just have to pump out some generic quote like "XYZ Brand Of Amp gives me all the BALL-CRUSHING POWER I need!", and maybe be seen with it on stage. They don't have to actually record with it, or have their live tone actually coming through it.

It's more important to get the right guitar than the right amp. I don't know of any pedal that will make a Telecaster sound like a Les Paul or vice versa.

If you want a more modern aggressive alt-rock kind of sound, right from the amp without using pedals, you should probably try out a Mesa.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Get the amp that makes you feel the music and responds best to your playing style. No recorded (or mic'ed) amplifier is uncolored. All instruments get EQ'ed in the mix to make room for each other. Your amp will sound different every night depending on the venue, microphone, microphone placement and a hundred other factors. In a studio, many of these things are controlled. Also, you don't know if the amp that the guitarist played while recording ended up in the final mix or not. It is common now to track a DI on guitar. Once the guitar player (and his opinion) leaves, you simply run the DI input through an amp simulator or re-amp to a really good sounding amp and record it.

Comment

Just had a chance to listen to the tracks, This is easy Marshall tone to achieve but they are sponsored by Orange which obviously performs well for them too

who knows what they used in the studio, it could be multiple tracks layered.

I know its only a music video but there are two Marshall heads shown here.......

YouTube - You Me At Six - If I Were In Your Shoes *KERRANG! EXCLUSIVE*

maybe you need the Marshall head with the orange cab...... hope you have a good guitar shop nearby

Comment

Working...
            X