Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New vid : Modded VHT Special 6 in Red Fang 10" - YouTube

Comment

for a few dollars more, build an entire different amp using 2 6L6s.. and get about 35 watts.. or 2 6V6s and run about 15 watts.. seems like a better idea to me.. then you have 2 amps, different sounds and more flexibility.. The old saying 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' applies here..... then again, it might be 'if it ain't broke, I haven't worked on it long enough..' may be coming into view...

Comment

I just did the 6L6 bias mod on my Special 6 head, since I had 2 pairs of different Mesa relabeled 6L6 types. I wired in 4x 2k7 ohm resistors because all I had were half-watts. I've got a Mesa STR 454 in there now which is a relabeled Svetlana / SED Winged C 6L6GC, hooked up an 8 ohm CTS 15" to the 16 ohm tap, and it sounds awesome. With everything cranked it sounds awesome, crunches really, really hard. It seems like there is more life in the tone control as well. I think I will now look to the tone stack to try and take advantage of the additional low end the 6L6 can provide.

Comment

I use an EL34B now.

Comment

Originally posted by kleuck View Post
            I use an EL34B now.
            I've also got a Chinese EL34 in mine at the moment with all the other changes I did to run the 6L6. I'm not sure if there is anything I should change to make it run an EL34 better, but it sounds great still.

Comment

Working...
            X