Dumb transformer question...120v supply for a 230v xformer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb transformer question...120v supply for a 230v xformer

I purchased a 2x12vac 500ma transformer for a phono preamp project without noticing it was for 230vac supply. If I use a 120vac supply, would the output be 2x6vac? Sorry for the stupid question...

Yes. Output will be halved.

Comment

Or you could run one the secondaries in series for 12V. Unless you absolutely need 2 different windings.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation guys... the PS is a +-12v so I need both secondaries - but it's good to know I can use this PT for some other unipolar 12v supply project. Best wishes this holiday season. Patrick

Comment

Attached is a +12/ -12 volt dc power supply from a non centertapped transformer.
          Attached Files

Comment

So if you run the secondaries in series and use the above PS you have your +/- 12V. Now you just have to question the mA rating if you use the transformer in this manner.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
            X