Roland D-50 Acting Strange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland D-50 Acting Strange

I am the original owner of a Roland D-50 synth. It is truly a great sounding synth from 1987 and I was hoping to use it LIVE - however I am now noticing that it will suddenly "drop out" when I'm playing and then it will either get stuck on a note - or it will go completely silent.

I have already tried opening the unit and replacing the Sony CR2032 battery and that seemed to help for about 2 weeks and then it started acting up again. Not sure what is wrong - but it appears that it is no longer able to withstand the pounding of rock-style keyboard and it just fails when I play it - regardless of whether I'm playing for 2 minutes or 20 minutes. I have to turn it OFF - then ON again to get any sound.

The sounds that I do have are on the Memory Card.

I have the original memory card w/ 64 Roland factory presets.

Any advice is certainly appreciated!!!

I would be looking for cracked solder connections on the power supply pcb, especially the voltage regulators.

Comment

Roland D-50 Actiing Strange

Okay - thanks. I can give that a look.

Comment

I would resolder the MIDI jacks. And for that matter, try a NEW MIDI cord.

To play a note via MIDI, the keyboard sends both a note on and then a note off signal. If you play a note and hold it, and yank out the MIDI cord, then the receiving end never gets that note off signal and you get a hanging note.

And while you are checking, always check the solder on the regular audio output jacks as well as the pedal jacks.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X