Fender Hot Rod Deluxe makes no sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Hot Rod Deluxe makes no sound

So a friend of mine was given a Hot Rod Deluxe 2x10" from his uncle but it doesn't work so he brought it to me to fix. It was left in his uncle's garage for a LONG time and exposed to all kinds of weathering so there's a good deal of rust collected on it, however only on the outside.

Anyways, the problem is the amp gives no output at ALL, not even hissing or hum, and this remains unchanged with any configuration of the channel volume, drive, or master volume. All the tubes light up fine, and so does the pilot light. Also, you do hear the quiet electrical buzz from the back of the amp once you take it off standby but again this is unchanged by turning the volume knobs up or down. The HT fuse is also still intact.

I tried using a different speaker, and that didn't work. I also used the stock speaker with a different amp and it works fine. I also put a patch cable across the effects loop thinking that the internal switches might have rusted over but that didn't work either. The only way I can get a sound out of it is to plug a speaker into the SEND on the effects loop and although the sound is quiet, it is very much there.

Other than that, I tried all the 'standard' troubleshooting tricks; using different inputs, different cables, switching channels, etc etc. I just cleaned off the inside with contact cleaner and after it dries I'm going to try it again.

In the meantime, any other suggestions?? It is a fairly new amp and the inside is surprisingly clean so I can't imagine it would be a significant component failure, like a transformer or even an electrolytic cap. I'm almost sure it's something trivial that I'm just overlooking.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

I would start by measuring the dc voltage at the output pins of the output tubes. Pin #3.
    Then read the dc voltage at the grid pins. Pin #5.
    This should be a negative voltage. About -50Vdc.
    If that is good, measure the same grids with your meter set to read volts AC.
    Play the amp. You should read a nice healthy ac voltage. 50 Vac minimum.
    If all is good, your output transformer is suspect.
    Be aware it is a PITA to change out.
    The main board must be removed.
    I write down where every wire gets connected.
    Wouldn't want to hook it back up wrong

Comment

Working...
    X