Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer drum machine???

Hi everybody!

I'm looking for a drum machine software for my computer, to use as a kind of metronome, freeware/shareware, or paying, i don't care. Something simple to use, please do'nt tell me about cubase, i have all versions, and can't realy use this thing, it's too complicated Any sugestions?

Thanks.

Max.

Get a copy of Propellerhead's Rebirth. It's now a freeware app, and will run in windows without a VST wrapper. This thing emulates (technically, it plays samples) of a TR-909 and an 808. It also has a pair of 303, so it's a heap of fun if you know what you're doing with it! If you've never programmed a 303, you might struggle a bit with it, but the TR's are as simple as it comes.

Comment

Why not just download some MIDI file songs near to the style you want to jam along with, and delete everything but the drums, (or just solo the drums)? You can always use Cubase to do things like take a portion of the tune that you want, and loop it over and over by setting loop points, or just deleting everything else and pasting a portion over and over.

You could take more than one tune and cut, copy, paste..whatever...different parts to make something new. Maybe you want to use the main beat of this song for 16 measures, but you want the chorus part of another. You can do that...with a little work. (I think it wouldn't be too hard in Cubase...I use Sonar).

The main thing you might have to work with when using more than one tune is getting all the drums the same. You may have one song using snare 1, and the other using snare 2, one using kick one, the other using kick two....etc. Just choose, say, the snare you really want, and transpose all the other snares to that note....maybe down 2 notes, or something.

You also may have to find out how to "Split notes to tracks", if the MIDI file came with all the drums on one track...if Cubase will do that.

You can mess with the tempo..speed it up or slow it down.

I had some friends challenge me to write "the most depressing aggro-metal song...ever". I usually do more bluesy, Americana, or prog-type stuff, mainly starting a bed with the under-performing, stiff-sounding, track-limited, too-many-useless-featured Band-In-A-Box, or the much better, more realistic sounding Soundtrek Jammer Pro...and then add guitars, real bass, etc. I don't have a drum set...no room...so I have to use software. And most keyboard and horn parts are done in the program. (Actually, I have taken some pretty stiff BIAB garbage, dumped it into Jammer...and made it better).

Anyway, I couldn't find or manipulate either program enough to give me good metal drum patterns, so I downloaded a lot of Metallica, Korn, Rancid, Tool, Rob Zombie..etc...MIDI files....and am now in the process of taking sections of different ones and trying to construct something different. By the time I get done cutting and pasting and changing tempos and drum sounds...and tweaking things further with other means, they will be unrecognizable as coming from any tune's MIDI file.

Anyway, something to think about if you just want some pre-programmed drum tracks. Just solo the drums, and keep the rest of the file, if you want. Up to you what to do with it. Especially if you just want to practice along to drum tracks, there's thousands upon thousands of free MIDI files out there...some actually pretty good, a lot pretty bad, some salvagable.

Plus, if you don't like your soundcard's drum sounds, you can always assign the drums to a VST drum kit to let the sequence trigger them.

Brad1

Comment

If something like a super metronome will do, this is a good option I use regularly....and it's FREE!!

http://www.download.com/Weird-Metron...dlPid=10153027

Comment

There is also Hammerhead:

http://www.threechords.com/hammerhea...oduction.shtml

You can download various samples from from the site for other drum machines as well.

chuck

Comment

Jacien,

Thanks for the heads up on Rebirth. I downloaded and istalled it. Now all I have to do is learn how to use it It looks pretty complicated.

chuck

Originally posted by Jaicen View Post
            Get a copy of Propellerhead's Rebirth. It's now a freeware app, and will run in windows without a VST wrapper. This thing emulates (technically, it plays samples) of a TR-909 and an 808. It also has a pair of 303, so it's a heap of fun if you know what you're doing with it! If you've never programmed a 303, you might struggle a bit with it, but the TR's are as simple as it comes.

Comment

Another good freebie to check out is Hydrogen. Many samples and not too hard to use.
              http://www.hydrogen-music.org
              Sometimes I'm good, then I'm bad..
              http://www.evacuatedelectronics.com

Comment

try fruityloops, very simple and load whatever samples you like, and it generaly has alot of drum synths as plugins as well

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck_Farlee View Post
                  Jacien,

Thanks for the heads up on Rebirth. I downloaded and istalled it. Now all I have to do is learn how to use it It looks pretty complicated.

chuck

Where did you find it? I haven't seen a download in ages.

Comment

Leaf Drums This one's easy to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonefishin View Post
                      Where did you find it? I haven't seen a download in ages.
                      I downloaded the .iso image from this site:

http://www.rebirthmuseum.com/

It didn't work when I just tried it, but it was working two weeks ago

Found this one via Google:

http://www.bluedistortion.com/2005/0...nload-torrent/

You can download a .torrent file from the above link.

chuck

Comment

http://www.tabit.net/download.htm

Super simple to get drum parts down. I use this for alot of things, one of them being generic drum tracks. The trial version gives you 16 bars to play with, and you have repeat if I remember right, so that'll be plenty for metronome level stuff.
                        -Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X